Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Ok first of all stop running it like that. Clearly something is not right and you can blow your motor if the carbs are dirty/need a rebuild.

First things first is do a compression check. It should 115-120 PSI. Then look at your carbs. Also at 80 hours chances are your cat is broken up and in pieces. Which will need to be removed and a D-plate installed. If you have no mechanical ability take it to a good PWC mechanic (not the dealer) and let him do his job.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
well I did a cylinder pressure 0/30/0 ! How did it run so great for 30 minutes then die? Also noticed oil at bottom of interior of hull in an area.. Don't know nothing about these engines , could something be stuck open causing it to not have cylinder pressure? I thought that it wouldn't even start with that low of cylinder pressure , any thoughts. I am really bummed on the situation , I''l know next time to do a cylinder pressure check before purchasing. I thought I could trust the "Dr."
Ouch, yes this is common in older 2 strokes to loose compression. When you tested it did you have just the one spark plug removed on the cylinder you were testing? Along with holding the throttle wide open?

And yes they'll still run on low compression albeit very poorly. I had a 900ZXI Kawi once and it got me back to shore after one cylinder dropped to 0 PSI.:)

Find a good PWC mechanic and let him dig into it and see what your options are. If you are around the Chicago/Milwaukee area I can recommend a good guy otherwise look on Craigslist. I just had a top end done on my GPR last fall for $1300. That was with the D plate mod.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I removed 1 plug at a time and checked , I just turned the motor over w/out starting , didn't hold throttle wide open. Can it be anything other than fried engine? What exactly is the power valves?
Well yes unless your gauge is completely shot it's safe to assume your top end is bad. The power valves alter the size of the exhaust port to make maximum power at a given RPM. They are located on the port side of the engine. You'll see three small box like things sitting there those are your powervalve housings. They are linked together and towards the stern side you'll see a wheel type thing which in turn is connected to the servo motor for the power valves which is mounted just below the little storage compartment on your ski.

Speaking of powervalves once and if you get the motor repaired you'll need what are called Wave Eater clips on the powervalve pivots because they can walk out and cause engine damage. They are not much though, $30 something dollars.

What are your plans for this boat? Are you going to fix it or sell it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts