Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2001 1200r w/ only 81 hrs. on it. The older guy who I bought it from said he only put about 5 rs. on it in the last few years. I topped it off w/ gas and went to lake and it fired right up and ran great for about 30 min. then it just died on me. Then it would start and I would rush it towards the bank , it would die then it would just click then start , then die. The battery seemed to be just dead. I charged overnight to full capacity , took to lake , fired right up then died in about 5-10 minutes , then it would fire up and die. Then it would fire up and I let it idle for a few then it just die. I KNOW NOTHING about this thing , any advise? MY KIDS THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I did a cylinder pressure 0/30/0 ! How did it run so great for 30 minutes then die? Also noticed oil at bottom of interior of hull in an area.. Don't know nothing about these engines , could something be stuck open causing it to not have cylinder pressure? I thought that it wouldn't even start with that low of cylinder pressure , any thoughts. I am really bummed on the situation , I''l know next time to do a cylinder pressure check before purchasing. I thought I could trust the "Dr."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed 1 plug at a time and checked , I just turned the motor over w/out starting , didn't hold throttle wide open. Can it be anything other than fried engine? What exactly is the power valves?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a dealers license and buy Harleys to sell or buy off individuals and run through auction. I will probably run it through auction , thats what I was planning on doing with it after I played on it for a month or so. They actually do compression test at auction on PWC's and state them on line , so whoever buys it will know top end has to be redone. But I figure I could possibly get back close to what I paid for it as cheap as I bought it. People who deal in these things can probably do the work themselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there anyway to tell if its just top end rather than bottom end or both? Before I take it to get worked on , trying not to get taken advantage of at PWC mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts