Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time posting. But I just bought a brand new vx cruiser HO. Went through the proper break in procedures as per the manual. The last break in step was to keep it under 6000 rpm for 1 hour. Which I did. I was so excited to finally open it up to see what it could really do and at full throttle it only jumps between 6000-6500 rpm. I’m certain it should be able to at least hit 7000. I only weigh 200 pounds and my HO waverunner is only hitting like 45-50mph. Stated max speed is closer to 60. Any ideas what might be wrong? At the end of my trip the ski had about 8 hours on it and it still wouldn’t go higher than 6500 rpm. I never beached it. Never ran over anything so it can’t possibly be clogged up.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm not certain, but it sounds like it could be still in learner or limited mode. I believe that's what it's called. Check in your manual for it. It limits your rpm/speed.
Again not certain just a thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not certain, but it sounds like it could be still in learner or limited mode. I believe that's what it's called. Check in your manual for it. It limits your rpm/speed.
Again not certain just a thought
No I made sure it wasn’t in learner mode. I put it in learner mode on purpose to make sure. The jet ski takes off fast. And it rips all the way up to about 45mph very quickly and then seems to just stop revving and stop accelerating. Almost like the ecu is stopping the power at 6500 rpms. I’ve never seen it hit 7000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
First time posting. But I just bought a brand new vx cruiser HO. Went through the proper break in procedures as per the manual. The last break in step was to keep it under 6000 rpm for 1 hour. Which I did. I was so excited to finally open it up to see what it could really do and at full throttle it only jumps between 6000-6500 rpm. I’m certain it should be able to at least hit 7000. I only weigh 200 pounds and my HO waverunner is only hitting like 45-50mph. Stated max speed is closer to 60. Any ideas what might be wrong? At the end of my trip the ski had about 8 hours on it and it still wouldn’t go higher than 6500 rpm. I never beached it. Never ran over anything so it can’t possibly be clogged up.
I just purchased a 2021 Yamaha VX Cruise HO as well and am experiencing the same issue. I've ridden it for about 4 hours and still won't get passed 6400RPM. Did you ever determine what the issue was?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just purchased a 2021 Yamaha VX Cruise HO as well and am experiencing the same issue. I've ridden it for about 4 hours and still won't get passed 6400RPM. Did you ever determine what the issue was?
Nope. I had the worst experience ever dealing with both the dealership and yamaha directly. They both said that’s a perfectly normal top speed and top RPM range. (Yamaha only talks with the dealership so the dealership said it was fine and Yamaha told me it’s fine because the dealership said it was fine). I love the idea of the Yamaha heritage. But I won’t be purchasing a Yamaha craft in the future.
out of curiosity have you noticed any significant lean to the left on your craft? When mine is sitting in the water idle it leans two inches left into the water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope. I had the worst experience ever dealing with both the dealership and yamaha directly. They both said that’s a perfectly normal top speed and top RPM range. (Yamaha only talks with the dealership so the dealership said it was fine and Yamaha told me it’s fine because the dealership said it was fine). I love the idea of the Yamaha heritage. But I won’t be purchasing a Yamaha craft in the future.
out of curiosity have you noticed any significant lean to the left on your craft? When mine is sitting in the water idle it leans two inches left into the water.
I have not noticed any lean to the left in my craft. How could Yamaha and the dealership say that it is fine when there are reports and reviews that show the top speed and RPM ranges when testing the watercraft? (Example: Yamaha VX Cruiser HO (2019-) | BoatTEST). I think that is a BS excuse and honestly you should either receive a replacement or a refund for a return. 6000-6500 only gets you to about 45-50mph and that is about the speed a normal VX Cruiser will get you with a 3-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not noticed any lean to the left in my craft. How could Yamaha and the dealership say that it is fine when there are reports and reviews that show the top speed and RPM ranges when testing the watercraft? (Example: Yamaha VX Cruiser HO (2019-) | BoatTEST). I think that is a BS excuse and honestly you should either receive a replacement or a refund for a return. 6000-6500 only gets you to about 45-50mph and that is about the speed a normal VX Cruiser will get you with a 3-cylinder engine.
Believe me I exhausted all possible options to get the speed fixed and to get the lean figured out. The only solution they had for the speed was to depitch my prop to get higher RPMs. I hope your dealership takes better care of you than mine did for me. I lost a lot of sleep and regretted my purchase for quite some time. The other issue I have is that my craft leans left and at low speeds it’s not safe. But same story, the dealership said it was completely normal and they did not offer any refund, but back, or replacement. Like I said Yamaha lost a customer. And I will never recommend their watercraft to anyone I know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If possible, keep me updated along your journey to get it fixed. I never went for a depitched prop because I just spent 12k I didn’t feel like spending another 350 for a prop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I will let you know what my dealership says because when I called them, they said, "Oh no, it should definitely be revving higher than that. Please bring it in and we'll figure out what is going on". If they are able to debug it, I'll for sure let you know. The lean sounds strange though. I did notice that I'm more comfortable making hard left turns than I am hard right turns, but I figured that was just my own comfort level. But I'll pay close attention next time I'm out on the water. Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If possible, keep me updated along your journey to get it fixed. I never went for a depitched prop because I just spent 12k I didn’t feel like spending another 350 for a prop.
The dealership came back saying they found an anomaly in the voltage readings from the throttle controller where the voltage was not reaching the expected levels based on the throttle input. They are determining if they can programmatically fix the issue or if they will need to replace the throttle controller, but at least they found something that was "not right" and are working to make it right. Might be something you bring up to the dealership you were using as your ski should still be under warrantee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh wow. That’s great to hear. I’m definitely going to bring it up with my dealership. I would have never thought about a faulty throttle. Out of curiosity do you know the approximate altitude of the lake you run at? The dealership gave me the excuse that because the lakes I go to are between 4000 and 7000 feet elevation, I’m not getting max RPMs because I need a shallower impeller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dealership came back saying they found an anomaly in the voltage readings from the throttle controller where the voltage was not reaching the expected levels based on the throttle input. They are determining if they can programmatically fix the issue or if they will need to replace the throttle controller, but at least they found something that was "not right" and are working to make it right. Might be something you bring up to the dealership you were using as your ski should still be under warrantee.
Oh wow. That’s great to hear. I’m definitely going to bring it up with my dealership. I would have never thought about a faulty throttle. Out of curiosity do you know the approximate altitude of the lake you run at? The dealership gave me the excuse that because the lakes I go to are between 4000 and 7000 feet elevation, I’m not getting max RPMs because I need a shallower impeller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealership came back saying they found an anomaly in the voltage readings from the throttle controller where the voltage was not reaching the expected levels based on the throttle input.
Steve, Did this fix your issue? I have a 2021 VXHO and RPM max is 6600 speed max is 53MPH - maybe 8 hours on it - Very Frustrating - I also bought a GP1800R and get up to 64MPH on it - same engine I should be getting close to that speed on the VX HO as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 VX deluxe with the 1.0 H.O. motor. After following the complete break in I am only seeing 7000 rpm at 43 mph at 4400 feet in elevation. This unit is supposed to do 53 at sea level. I knew I would loose some power and speed but 10 mph seems like alot. I will try to re pitch to a lower pitch to pick up rpm's and speed. Going to ask dealer to swap out or give me a discount. Frustrating as well when you spend good hard earned money and do research only to be disappointed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like your Security fob is set on learner mode.
Disconnect the battery, let it set for 30 minutes or so, then try again. Some models show the learner mode on the dash.
Crank it first to see if its lit. Then try to change it.
If it doesn't correct it, I would recommend being a pain in the ass at the dealership, until they reflash your ecu factory settings. (at NO cost)
If that doesn't work, complain to corporate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Disconnect the battery, let it set for 30 minutes or so, then try again. Some models show the learner mode on the dash.
If it doesn't correct it, I would recommend being a pain in the ass at the dealership, until they reflash your ecu factory settings. (at NO cost)
Unfortunately that was my first thought. So I purposefully put it into learner mode to test it. Learner mode is VERY slow. Mine just feels significantly slower than it should at wide open throttle. BUT just as an update for you all. I actually put another 10 hours on mine (20 total) and I bought a new solas prop and had it custom pitched by impros and it is now running at about 7200 rpm and hits about 57mph. It’s not perfect but I will accept 57 over 52. I know it’s only 5 mph but it was significant to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked this first as well - on the new Yamaha VXHO the setting is electronic and you have a few options (top speed and acceleration) all options were tried - my setting is high/normal for both and still have top speed issue - there does not seem to be any acceleration issue and top speed is the same (53MPH) with me or my wife riding (120+ lb difference) in smooth or choppy water at 0ft elevation - seems like some limiter or electronics problem since max speed/rpms are identical with either rider. Been in the shop since Friday - no word from them yet - I’m going to start to be PIA if I don’t hear something from them soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue on my 21 VX cruiser HO. I’m at 7 hours 55mph 6700rpm. My research has shown me that speeds and rpms are computer limited to 55mph till after the 10 hour break in period. After that time frame speeds should increase to 64 and 7500 rpms

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 28 hours on my 21 VX Deluxe 1.0 HO and still 7000rpm at 43mph. Very disappointing. No where near the 53mph yamaha publishes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts