Personal Water Craft Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
SOLVED!
drive control mode must be OFF entirely! Not just on highest settings. If you see the little yellow gauge illuminated. Then it is ON. Click over to it and press ok. You’ll hear it beep and the yellow icon will go away. Your now off and ready to go!

The manual is very clear on how to turn it on and select options, just not how to shut off. I
Just hit my 10 hour mark and shut it off. What a difference on my 21 VX cruiser HO. 64mph and 7500rpms on a full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine started doing that today. I have a 2021 VXHO. I’m 6’2 and weigh 205. Normally I hit 7800 RPMs and it maxes out at 67 MPH. Today it won’t get over 7400 RPMs and 62 MPH. Still fast, but not normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time post. I have the low speed issue as well with my 2018 VX HO

I had the HO out twice in calm glass like conditions and can't get over 53MPH. Won't go past 7000rpm (est.) It's not in L-Mode. The 2019 vx cruiser I have will hit 56 even 57 a few times for second. Not using an app. Trying to figure out what I should do. Called the dealer and they weren't much help. Need to know what the possible issues are so I can go in with knowledge. Of course the warranty just expired last week. Was gonna put new plugs in even though the owner just put new ones on in May. It does seem like it idles rough and shakes a little. Thanks

Mark

·
Administrator
37 Posts
But it's hard to compare without apples being the same. When I bought mine, I was pretty disappointed. I live at altitude, but it's not all altitude. I was only getting 67-6800... But it is altitude and impeller. Got a tune, new prop, I'm at 8400 at SL and 7900 at home. I got 63 mph at SL by GPS. 2017 FX cruiser HO.

Originally, in this thread it was a found problem. It can be with others as well. It hard just saying rpms are off though. Temp, altitude, water, density... It all matters. It sounds like you are close... Could be problem could be normal differences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
First time posting. But I just bought a brand new vx cruiser HO. Went through the proper break in procedures as per the manual. The last break in step was to keep it under 6000 rpm for 1 hour. Which I did. I was so excited to finally open it up to see what it could really do and at full throttle it only jumps between 6000-6500 rpm. I’m certain it should be able to at least hit 7000. I only weigh 200 pounds and my HO waverunner is only hitting like 45-50mph. Stated max speed is closer to 60. Any ideas what might be wrong? At the end of my trip the ski had about 8 hours on it and it still wouldn’t go higher than 6500 rpm. I never beached it. Never ran over anything so it can’t possibly be clogged up.
I had a similar issue with mine. Around 14 hours the motor broke in and the ecu limited the rpms to 7000. Due to being at 5500 feet above sea level my speed was 43mph max. Everything I read stated 52-53mph. If you are getting that speed you are good and the motor will lose up some more for the last few rpm's up to 7000. That 3 cylinder motor is not going to give you 60 mph stock. I traded mine back in after 40 hours for a gp1800r svho. That does 67mph stock at 5500 feet above sea level. All grins now and no frowns. The Vx is not a 60mph speed ski in my opinion and experience of owning one. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, wondering if you guys solved the low rpm problem, I’ve just bought 2021 Yamaha vx ho done the break in and everything was running perfect going up to 68mph and 7800rpm very fast and quick accelaration. Then it hit 10hrs and won’t go over 6500rpm and 50mph. Seems like some kind of engine restrictor has been activated. Tried the drive control on and off and different settings but not change. Any clues? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
As stated above I have an 18 VX ho that I just bought used with 108hrs and can’t seem to get passed 52-53mph either using a gps app. I’ve checked the air filter and changed plugs. The 18s don’t have ride control setting just the L mode which is off. I should say I haven’t been able to fully test since new plugs. I’d be happy if it could consistently hit 60mph as I ride mostly in the bay where most of the time you can’t even go 45-50 cause of conditions.

·
Administrator
37 Posts
As stated above I have an 18 VX ho that I just bought used with 108hrs and can’t seem to get passed 52-53mph either using a gps app. I’ve checked the air filter and changed plugs. The 18s don’t have ride control setting just the L mode which is off. I should say I haven’t been able to fully test since new plugs. I’d be happy if it could consistently hit 60mph as I ride mostly in the bay where most of the time you can’t even go 45-50 cause of conditions.
Seems to me there is some conflicting info on what our skis should or can do. Mine is 17 FX Cruiser HO. I also live at altitude. I didn't GPS at SL the brief time I was there, but I wasn't getting 53 mph at home for sure. It took mods to get more out of it. Seems now my prop is perfect for SL and I consistently got 63.7 GPS. I don't think my prop is best for home where I can only get 53 with 700 rpm to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked this first as well - on the new Yamaha VXHO the setting is electronic and you have a few options (top speed and acceleration) all options were tried - my setting is high/normal for both and still have top speed issue - there does not seem to be any acceleration issue and top speed is the same (53MPH) with me or my wife riding (120+ lb difference) in smooth or choppy water at 0ft elevation - seems like some limiter or electronics problem since max speed/rpms are identical with either rider. Been in the shop since Friday - no word from them yet - I’m going to start to be PIA if I don’t hear something from them soon.
I dont know if this has been fixed or not but want to share my experience. I have a 2021 vx cruiser ho. Been riding all summer with drive control set to high normal. Topped out mid 50's. Was bummed. Today I was riding at around 15hrs. Went to speed settings just to check and when I selected it, it beeped twice and the yellow lettering turned white. Thought nothing if it and punched it like I always do. Went into an unintentional superman and by the time my butt touched back down on the seat I was hitting 65 @7500 rpm. LCD looks bare now with no drive control info. My best guess is it has a limiter when new. Engine was running, I selected the acceleration mode and instead of going into the sub menu it shut it off. Try that. I'm ecstatic as I thought I had to live with the power inwas getting.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts