Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to do for a break in period for my 2000 yamaha gp 800. I am replacing the crankshaft, pistons and gaskets n seals. I am running the Yamalube 2w for the oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take it easy for about five hours. Vary the throttle alot while riding and dont hold flat out for too long for the first couple of hours. Dont load the engine either (towing etc). First start up you must take it easy for 10mins and run full throttle with the choke pulled half out so it only goes about 5mph for 3-4mins to lubricate everything. And run 500mls of oil in the tank as well as the oil injection. Make sure you bleed the oil injection too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to run the oil injection and pre-mix a little for the first run to make sure nothing happens as far as no lubrication. How much should i pre-mix? Or should i even pre-mix. I think the old crank wrist pin bearing and connecting rod went bad just because it was its time but i don't want to risk it being a lubrication problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How many hours were on your ski?

The same thing happened to my XL800 (same engine) with 270h on it. Wrist pin siezed up, broke the rod and i needed a crank, pistons, jugs.. damaged the head a bit too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure how many hours i have. I think 130 hours, somewhere in there. I have the battery pulled and a few other electronics pulled right now cause i pulled the engine myself or i could tell you. I found that the wrist pin bearing on the crankshaft desinigrated and the rod bent a little. Then because the rod was loose it rotated with the crank and scraped the bottom side of the crankcase, nothing too bad. Jugs and head are all fine here. I'm sure it could have been a lot worse. The pistons are OK but since i'm in there, i'm just going to replace those too. I should have all the parts by friday and installed friday evening. I plan to be out on the river Saturday after the gasket maker cures to break in the new parts. I can't wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts