Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Yamaha Waveraider - RA700S. About once a year I have to replace the charge coil on it. Not that big of a deal, takes about 45 minutes to replace, but at $70 a pop would like to understand why it's burning out.

It does appear to start to run badly just before it happens so I can always tell when it's going to happen.

I've asked a few people and only 1 had ever heard of it happening - He said he thought it was from over rev'ing? Not sure what that means or how to fix it.

Anyone here heard of this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I did check the ignition coil secondary and it appears to be well out of spec. Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:mad:
Another year down, and spent all winter redoing my ignition system and starter system.... only to find out the starter system was due to a high resistive fuse. Anyway the ignition coil was bad. I replaced that and the ski ran like a dream for 2 weeks, then last week started acting funny, took it into shore and that was it, wouldn't start up again. Looks exactly like the last time I burned up my charge coil. Someone told me I should put a resistor across the coil to "shunt" any current spikes. He didn't know how to size it for me though. :confused: Anyone heard of this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts