Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Major NOOB here and i interested in buying my first stand up jet ski. I found this one on craigslist here 1989 KAWASAKI 650SX Stand Up Jet Ski
Its pretty far from me and needs work now i called the guy and he said that they replaced the motor because the old one the crankshaft broke. So he bought a used one off ebay. He said after replacing it the ski qould only go about 10 mph. I had a few ideas on this problem:
1) the engine is running to rich causing it to "sputter"
2) the impeller shaft is bent and the impeller is rubbing against the housing
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(my friends ski had this problem on a 951 bombarder sea doo and now it works fine)
Any help would be great or if you think its a bad deal that would be great too!

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think your theories are probably not very likely to be correct. It's one of those deals where you will just have to buy it and figure it out. If you're mechanically inclined that is a smoking deal especially if it comes with two sets of carbs. If you don't have any tools or the ability to use them you will not get it fixed by asking online geniuses

·
Registered
298 Posts
Both your ideas are completely wrong. You can run rich or lean, and it will effect your top end, but being to rich won't make it go 10 mph. As for the impeller shaft, if that was bent there would quite the vibration in the ski, and again unless its bent bad, it wouldn't slow the ski down to 10.
If this is your first stand up your better off just going for the gusto and getting a 95 or newer 750, but if money is a big factor and you just can't wait, look for a 91 or newer 550, 650

·
Registered
136 Posts
Both your ideas are completely wrong. You can run rich or lean, and it will effect your top end, but being to rich won't make it go 10 mph. As for the impeller shaft, if that was bent there would quite the vibration in the ski, and again unless its bent bad, it wouldn't slow the ski down to 10.
If this is your first stand up your better off just going for the gusto and getting a 95 or newer 750, but if money is a big factor and you just can't wait, look for a 91 or newer 550, 650
What is the advantage to going 91 or newer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found these today the guy told me one runs and one doesnt so if i need parts i would have a back up the one that doesnt needs a top end rebuildand a carb rebuild

·
Registered
298 Posts
im 110 lbs
Is there a specific reason your after a 300? At 110 it will move you around ok, but once you learn how to ride it, you'll be wishing you had bought something more powerful. A 550, or 650 are pretty easy to come by and aren't so powerful that you couldn't handle it. My wife is 120 and she hasn't ridden stand ups that much, and she rides my 800.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts