Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking into buying a jetski locally for awhile now and have finnaly found a nice deal on 2 jetskis for 2000$. My question is when i hopefully go look at them tomorrow afternoon what should i be looking for besides any rust or corosion that may indicate that these arent in good shape and or havent been taken care of? I dont know anything about them besides that they both run and one may need a new head gasket. Any tips?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
i have been looking into buying a jetski locally for awhile now and have finnaly found a nice deal on 2 jetskis for 2000$. My question is when i hopefully go look at them tomorrow afternoon what should i be looking for besides any rust or corosion that may indicate that these arent in good shape and or havent been taken care of? I dont know anything about them besides that they both run and one may need a new head gasket. Any tips?
Personally, I'd never buy a ski or boat without taking a test drive, so I'd recommend making that part of the deal. 2 skis for $2000 sounds like some very old skis that could have issues, so I'd want to see how they handled on the water. A test ride will expose problems that you will not see running them on a hose (noise, smoke, leaks, vibration, etc.). Some of the older skis are much more unstable and harder to ride than newer models. You should make sure that you can stay on it before you buy. You could end up with a good running ski that is no fun to ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i definitely wanted to do something like that and i definitely think they are older skiis id probbaly say 96-97 but ill post up the models tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So i went to take a look at those skiis today and here are a few pics and some info about them so tell me if im getting a nice deal and maybe anything to watch out for.

The fisrt one is a 1997 kawasaki zxi 900 and i was told everything is working great!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wold test them out at a lake and see how the ride. I bought my first ski last summer a 94 polaris sl 650 for 700$ that i would guess is in simalar shape as these your looking at, what i call "used and stored" and with some automotive background I have was able to make it run quite nice with some fuel system flush and just riding it while it it cleared the fuel system out. its made a great "learner" ski.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The KAW doesn't look to bad from your photos, and the Yamaha may be a simple fix, but I'd at least put the KAW on the water before making an offer. I'd estimate the KAW to be worth around $13-15K. Can't make a guess on the Yamaha. Trailer doesn't look too great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts