Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the form, looking to buy my first waverunner and have a couple questions.

I'm looking for something with decent power and reliability. I've narrowed my search to pretty much a seadoo with the 787 rotax, the seadoo rxp sc, or a yamaha gp1200r or gp800r. Wondering the pros and cons of each or what to look for. The 787's I've found are mostly late 90's eary 2xxx models, cheaper and looks like make pretty good power 110hp?
I'm also liking the rxps and gp1200 and 800's too though. There are a couple of al of those in my area ranging from $2100 to $6000. Obviously id like to spend as little as possible but I don't want to want something faster in 2 months. Frieand of mine has a 92 yamaha vxr pro 701 but its too slow for me. Another guy let me ride is 2010 gp1300 and that thing was a beast but I don't need anything that quick to satisfy my needs. I also have a 20' open bow boat so I don't need it to be great for pulling tubes or anything, just fun to ride. Anyone have some advise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds like your all over the place

:confused:
Hi guys, new to the form, looking to buy my first waverunner and have a couple questions.

I'm looking for something with decent power and reliability. I've narrowed my search to pretty much a seadoo with the 787 rotax, the seadoo rxp sc, or a yamaha gp1200r or gp800r. Wondering the pros and cons of each or what to look for. The 787's I've found are mostly late 90's eary 2xxx models, cheaper and looks like make pretty good power 110hp?
I'm also liking the rxps and gp1200 and 800's too though. There are a couple of al of those in my area ranging from $2100 to $6000. Obviously id like to spend as little as possible but I don't want to want something faster in 2 months. Frieand of mine has a 92 yamaha vxr pro 701 but its too slow for me. Another guy let me ride is 2010 gp1300 and that thing was a beast but I don't need anything that quick to satisfy my needs. I also have a 20' open bow boat so I don't need it to be great for pulling tubes or anything, just fun to ride. Anyone have some advise?

Thanks!
Hi I can try to give you some advice, looks to me that you are all over the place in looking for a ski. You are looking at old skis to newer skis. We need to narrow down your choices.

1. I would stay with a 4 stroke engine for dependability and no need for high priced injection oil which pollutes alot more.

2. Do you want a two seater or three seater.

By elimating two strokes that knocks out all your choices but one The Seadoo RXP, however if you thought the GP 1200 was too fast, the supercharged Seadoo RXP is even faster. A 4 stroke ski that is right for you might be a Seadoo GTX like I own. They make it in a normal or supercharged. It is a great touring ski. It is a 1500 cc four stroke, normal 1500 is 155 hp and will run 58 - 60 mph, the hopped up superchared engine is 215 hp and will top out 66 -68 mph. Very dependable in either version.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:confused:

Hi I can try to give you some advice, looks to me that you are all over the place in looking for a ski. You are looking at old skis to newer skis. We need to narrow down your choices.

1. I would stay with a 4 stroke engine for dependability and no need for high priced injection oil which pollutes alot more.

2. Do you want a two seater or three seater.

By elimating two strokes that knocks out all your choices but one The Seadoo RXP, however if you thought the GP 1200 was too fast, the supercharged Seadoo RXP is even faster. A 4 stroke ski that is right for you might be a Seadoo GTX like I own. They make it in a normal or supercharged. It is a great touring ski. It is a 1500 cc four stroke, normal 1500 is 155 hp and will run 58 - 60 mph, the hopped up superchared engine is 215 hp and will top out 66 -68 mph. Very dependable in either version.
Thanks for the advice man, the more I'm searching this forum the more I'm leaning towards the rxp. There are 3 for sale in my area with 56-154 hrs on them from $5500-$6700. The 1300 wasn't too fast but just not a must. I've owned 10 second cars and 750-1200 cc crotch rockets so I'm no stranger to speed :) are these good prices? One says "the hoses on the hood need to be replaced" what does that mean on these?? I'm also a bit confused on the differences on models, I've seen a lot of your replies and reading your advice to other members. What's the deal between rxp, or rxt and the gtx you mentoned? Are all 3 even the rxp 4 strokes? Thank again for the info!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok the three Seadoos you mentioned are all available with the 1500 supercharged 4 strokes. The RXP is the fastest of them, but not by much 68-70 mph,215 hp and is a light weight 2 seater. the RXT is the same ski but a 3 seater top speed 66-68 mph, 215 hp. I own a 2006 RXT but it is heavily modified now is over 300 hp and top speed is 76-78 mph. It is a 3 seater bit more stable in chop. The GTX is a touring version of the RXT, it has two motor options both are the 1500 3 cylinders one normally asperated @ 155 hp, the other is a 1500 supercharged 3 cylinder @215 hp same top speed as the RXT 66-68 mph. The only issue is pre 2007 models had ceramic thrust washers that need to be replaced with stainless steel ones in the supercharger. This should be done about 100 hours + or -. Used RXP/RXTs can be picked up between $4,000.00 to $6500.00. These would be the model years 2004-2006. The newer ones 2007-2009 already come with stainless steel washers go for $7,000.00 - $8,500.00.

I can attest to the depend ability of these supercharged motors. They are all I run. Like I said earlier my 2006 RXT is modified and has not had any problems.

Everybody has their fav's but when I find something good I stick with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the three Seadoos you mentioned are all available with the 1500 supercharged 4 strokes. The RXP is the fastest of them, but not by much 68-70 mph,215 hp and is a light weight 2 seater. the RXT is the same ski but a 3 seater top speed 66-68 mph, 215 hp. I own a 2006 RXT but it is heavily modified now is over 300 hp and top speed is 76-78 mph. It is a 3 seater bit more stable in chop. The GTX is a touring version of the RXT, it has two motor options both are the 1500 3 cylinders one normally asperated @ 155 hp, the other is a 1500 supercharged 3 cylinder @215 hp same top speed as the RXT 66-68 mph. The only issue is pre 2007 models had ceramic thrust washers that need to be replaced with stainless steel ones in the supercharger. This should be done about 100 hours + or -. Used RXP/RXTs can be picked up between $4,000.00 to $6500.00. These would be the model years 2004-2006. The newer ones 2007-2009 already come with stainless steel washers go for $7,000.00 - $8,500.00.

I can attest to the depend ability of these supercharged motors. They are all I run. Like I said earlier my 2006 RXT is modified and has not had any problems.

Everybody has their fav's but when I find something good I stick with it.

Great info, thank you. Now my friends 92 vxr pro is a 2 seater but what a chore to get 2 ppl on it...I have not seen a rxp in person yet, are they a little bigger like can fit 2 ppl comfortably or no? Also what's involved to change these thrust washers and what's the cost. Would I have to remove the blower? Why do these need to be swapped out?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great info, thank you. Now my friends 92 vxr pro is a 2 seater but what a chore to get 2 ppl on it...I have not seen a rxp in person yet, are they a little bigger like can fit 2 ppl comfortably or no? Also what's involved to change these thrust washers and what's the cost. Would I have to remove the blower? Why do these need to be swapped out?
Two people can easily ride on the RXP without any problem. The ceramic thrust washers fail due to wear and will crack and start to break up, sometimes they will just go right thru the engine, other times not so good motor failure, something Seadoo tried and found out they wouldn't work for over 100 hours, but you will feel a power loss before they let go, yes you do have to get into the supercharger to replace them. But it is not real hard to do unless you are not mechanically inclined. Then a Seadoo dealer can change them for about $150.00. Best thing is if they are still in the supercharger go ahead and upgrade them and forget about it. If you want to see what one looks like, check EBAY motors. You will find them for sale there and it will also help you with used prices.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two people can easily ride on the RXP without any problem. The ceramic thrust washers fail due to wear and will crack and start to break up, sometimes they will just go right thru the engine, other times not so good motor failure, something Seadoo tried and found out they wouldn't work for over 100 hours, but you will feel a power loss before they let go, yes you do have to get into the supercharger to replace them. But it is not real hard to do unless you are not mechanically inclined. Then a Seadoo dealer can change them for about $150.00. Best thing is if they are still in the supercharger go ahead and upgrade them and forget about it. If you want to see what one looks like, check EBAY motors. You will find them for sale there and it will also help you with used prices.:thumbsup:
The couple im looking at have not had this mod done. I talked to my local seadoo facility and they told me the steel washers are $150 and another $200 for labor. Does this sound right? They told me unless I have some of the speciality tools I wouldnt be able to get the SC off or somethin. I think maybe there a ripoff and trying to make it sound like I need to have them do it. You said ballpark is typically $150 meaning parts and labor at the stealership correct? Ive pretty much narrowed it down to 2. Both 2006, one is red/blk with I believe under 80 hrs and said he take 5400. Other is Gold/blk 70 hrs or so and he'll take 5500. Either sound like a good deal?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I think I'm going to buy a second one because a couple of my friends I go boating with love to ride too and I dont want to be stuck riding by myself if my couple friends that do have them cant come out when im free (sometimes we all seem to get on opposite work shifts). So, It will be something CHEAP like around a grand or less and I'd like to know whats a good reliable cheap ski? Obviously it will be a 2 stroke but id prefer something that is not limited to 35 mph and something thats not problem prone. I do not want to be using my other one as a tug boat all the time :) I was thinking mid to late 90's XP or something with the 787 rotax or a Yamaha. Seeing lots of broken 2 stroke seadoo's in the seafood section right now though.....advice?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yes get a mid to late 90's 787 XP if you only want to spend a grand. I would not be so quick to let your friends ride it though. Because friends riding someones machine usually ends up in "help my buddy was riding my jet ski and now it's broken!"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes get a mid to late 90's 787 XP if you only want to spend a grand. I would not be so quick to let your friends ride it though. Because friends riding someones machine usually ends up in "help my buddy was riding my jet ski and now it's broken!"

Yeah well sh*t happens right? Then theyll help fix it if they want to keep riding it! Again thats why I only want to spend a gran or so on it. Are they reliable? From what i've researced there 110hp and do about 50-55 correct? So this should keep up with the RXP im buying without me having to ride around using the learner key or stop every 5 min lol :D Is there any differences in the years say 94-97 I should look for or stay away from? Those are the years I see cheap the most. Would be a 2 or 3 seater hopefully a 3. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So can anyone suggest a good cheaper ski? What known to be reliable in the 2 stroke world, what should I avoid like the plague?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yeah well sh*t happens right? Then theyll help fix it if they want to keep riding it! Again thats why I only want to spend a gran or so on it. Are they reliable? From what i've researced there 110hp and do about 50-55 correct? So this should keep up with the RXP im buying without me having to ride around using the learner key or stop every 5 min lol :D Is there any differences in the years say 94-97 I should look for or stay away from? Those are the years I see cheap the most. Would be a 2 or 3 seater hopefully a 3. Thanks guys!
The 800 powered XP does 57/58 mph. The main difference between the 90's models are the engines and minor hull details.

1993 Xp has the 657 motor this was the first year of the new "X2" hull

1994 has a ungraded version of the same engine called the 657x. Hull was tweaked and renamed "X3"

1995 was powered by the 720 Hull was perfected and finally coded named X4

1996 was 800

I posted a SeaDoo history guide in the sticky area of the Sea-Doo section. It lists all of the specs of the models from 1989-2010.

So can anyone suggest a good cheaper ski? What known to be reliable in the 2 stroke world, what should I avoid like the plague?
I wasn't saying the 800s are unreliable in fact they are one of the most dependable and smoothest 2 strokes ever made. I had one with over 600 hours on original everything! I just saw many threads of people letting friends ride and they screw it up, that's all I was saying.

You can get one for a grand now no problem. With the bigger and badder 4 strokes out these old machines depreciated like crazy. My suggestion is get as new as you can. The 1997-99 SPX is the same boat as the 96 XP. The 99 model has a very nice black/yellow paint scheme.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 800 powered XP does 57/58 mph. The main difference between the 90's models are the engines and minor hull details.

1993 Xp has the 657 motor this was the first year of the new "X2" hull

1994 has a ungraded version of the same engine called the 657x. Hull was tweaked and renamed "X3"

1995 was powered by the 720 Hull was perfected and finally coded named X4

1996 was 800

I posted a SeaDoo history guide in the sticky area of the Sea-Doo section. It lists all of the specs of the models from 1989-2010.

I wasn't saying the 800s are unreliable in fact they are one of the most dependable and smoothest 2 strokes ever made. I had one with over 600 hours on original everything! I just saw many threads of people letting friends ride and they screw it up, that's all I was saying.

You can get one for a grand now no problem. With the bigger and badder 4 strokes out these old machines depreciated like crazy. My suggestion is get as new as you can. The 1997-99 SPX is the same boat as the 96 XP. The 99 model has a very nice black/yellow paint scheme.

So how big of power difference is there between the 95 720 (is this the 110hp 787 rotax some ppl list?) and the 96 and up 800's? I seen one with i believe it said a 951 engine too, it was a 99 or 2000 XP. Prices seem to very so much on these, I mean what a good average price for each design?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
The 720 has 85 hp. Yes the 98-04 XP has the 951. This hull is longer and is better for slicing through the waves while the 93-96 XP has a flatter hull and is better for jumping wake. Look on KBB for approximate values. I know the 96 model books for around $1200 but if it's a mint condition example they can obviously fetch more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok going tomorrow to pick up an RXP I found I think im gonna take it. 2006 gold/blk around 85 hrs. Always serviced at seadoo shop and kept in garage during winter. agreed price of $5500 with single place trailer. Is this a decent deal?? ANYTHING anyone can think of to check for on this? Has not had the ceramic washers replaced, he an older guy and never heard of it before.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok going tomorrow to pick up an RXP I found I think im gonna take it. 2006 gold/blk around 85 hrs. Always serviced at seadoo shop and kept in garage during winter. agreed price of $5500 with single place trailer. Is this a decent deal?? ANYTHING anyone can think of to check for on this? Has not had the ceramic washers replaced, he an older guy and never heard of it before.
You did very well!
I'd try to ride it before the money is exchanged. I insisted on riding mine and it was at the dealership.
Just as well plan on doing the S/C rebuild right away. I see on green hulk a guy is doing then for reasonable cost and next day turn around

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You did very well!
I'd try to ride it before the money is exchanged. I insisted on riding mine and it was at the dealership.
Just as well plan on doing the S/C rebuild right away. I see on green hulk a guy is doing then for reasonable cost and next day turn around
Well I'm driving almost 2 hrs to get it, it'll be close to 9 at night. Probably won't be able to put it anywehre to ride it. He said I could start it for a few seconds and it starts right up. Why would I rebuild the supercharger?!? I was just going to upgrade the washers before 100 hrs.....is there something else I should know!?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I'm driving almost 2 hrs to get it, it'll be close to 9 at night. Probably won't be able to put it anywehre to ride it. He said I could start it for a few seconds and it starts right up. Why would I rebuild the supercharger?!? I was just going to upgrade the washers before 100 hrs.....is there something else I should know!?
I was advised that every 100 hours that you should rebuild the supercharger. Read here: Sea Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service
Sounds like it costs approximately $400 for a full rebuild
You ride that thing and you'll definately think it's worth it

·
Registered
811 Posts
Excellent deal on the RXP, same year as my RXT. very good price if it runs out ok. Most definately change your creamic washers out. here are some other ideas heh, heh........:D:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts