Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Yes get a mid to late 90's 787 XP if you only want to spend a grand. I would not be so quick to let your friends ride it though. Because friends riding someones machine usually ends up in "help my buddy was riding my jet ski and now it's broken!"

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Yeah well sh*t happens right? Then theyll help fix it if they want to keep riding it! Again thats why I only want to spend a gran or so on it. Are they reliable? From what i've researced there 110hp and do about 50-55 correct? So this should keep up with the RXP im buying without me having to ride around using the learner key or stop every 5 min lol :D Is there any differences in the years say 94-97 I should look for or stay away from? Those are the years I see cheap the most. Would be a 2 or 3 seater hopefully a 3. Thanks guys!
The 800 powered XP does 57/58 mph. The main difference between the 90's models are the engines and minor hull details.

1993 Xp has the 657 motor this was the first year of the new "X2" hull

1994 has a ungraded version of the same engine called the 657x. Hull was tweaked and renamed "X3"

1995 was powered by the 720 Hull was perfected and finally coded named X4

1996 was 800

I posted a SeaDoo history guide in the sticky area of the Sea-Doo section. It lists all of the specs of the models from 1989-2010.

So can anyone suggest a good cheaper ski? What known to be reliable in the 2 stroke world, what should I avoid like the plague?
I wasn't saying the 800s are unreliable in fact they are one of the most dependable and smoothest 2 strokes ever made. I had one with over 600 hours on original everything! I just saw many threads of people letting friends ride and they screw it up, that's all I was saying.

You can get one for a grand now no problem. With the bigger and badder 4 strokes out these old machines depreciated like crazy. My suggestion is get as new as you can. The 1997-99 SPX is the same boat as the 96 XP. The 99 model has a very nice black/yellow paint scheme.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
The 720 has 85 hp. Yes the 98-04 XP has the 951. This hull is longer and is better for slicing through the waves while the 93-96 XP has a flatter hull and is better for jumping wake. Look on KBB for approximate values. I know the 96 model books for around $1200 but if it's a mint condition example they can obviously fetch more.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Anyone? Would a better impeller help the hole shot? Also friend of mine might be picking up a 99 Kawi Ultra 150 tomorrow, he claims its faster then my RXP and everywhere I look says they do 70-72 stock, is this true? This is unacceptable for him to have the faster ski :D
No, they do you 66/67 stock. RXP does 68.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts