Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds like your all over the place

:confused:
Hi guys, new to the form, looking to buy my first waverunner and have a couple questions.

I'm looking for something with decent power and reliability. I've narrowed my search to pretty much a seadoo with the 787 rotax, the seadoo rxp sc, or a yamaha gp1200r or gp800r. Wondering the pros and cons of each or what to look for. The 787's I've found are mostly late 90's eary 2xxx models, cheaper and looks like make pretty good power 110hp?
I'm also liking the rxps and gp1200 and 800's too though. There are a couple of al of those in my area ranging from $2100 to $6000. Obviously id like to spend as little as possible but I don't want to want something faster in 2 months. Frieand of mine has a 92 yamaha vxr pro 701 but its too slow for me. Another guy let me ride is 2010 gp1300 and that thing was a beast but I don't need anything that quick to satisfy my needs. I also have a 20' open bow boat so I don't need it to be great for pulling tubes or anything, just fun to ride. Anyone have some advise?

Thanks!
Hi I can try to give you some advice, looks to me that you are all over the place in looking for a ski. You are looking at old skis to newer skis. We need to narrow down your choices.

1. I would stay with a 4 stroke engine for dependability and no need for high priced injection oil which pollutes alot more.

2. Do you want a two seater or three seater.

By elimating two strokes that knocks out all your choices but one The Seadoo RXP, however if you thought the GP 1200 was too fast, the supercharged Seadoo RXP is even faster. A 4 stroke ski that is right for you might be a Seadoo GTX like I own. They make it in a normal or supercharged. It is a great touring ski. It is a 1500 cc four stroke, normal 1500 is 155 hp and will run 58 - 60 mph, the hopped up superchared engine is 215 hp and will top out 66 -68 mph. Very dependable in either version.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok the three Seadoos you mentioned are all available with the 1500 supercharged 4 strokes. The RXP is the fastest of them, but not by much 68-70 mph,215 hp and is a light weight 2 seater. the RXT is the same ski but a 3 seater top speed 66-68 mph, 215 hp. I own a 2006 RXT but it is heavily modified now is over 300 hp and top speed is 76-78 mph. It is a 3 seater bit more stable in chop. The GTX is a touring version of the RXT, it has two motor options both are the 1500 3 cylinders one normally asperated @ 155 hp, the other is a 1500 supercharged 3 cylinder @215 hp same top speed as the RXT 66-68 mph. The only issue is pre 2007 models had ceramic thrust washers that need to be replaced with stainless steel ones in the supercharger. This should be done about 100 hours + or -. Used RXP/RXTs can be picked up between $4,000.00 to $6500.00. These would be the model years 2004-2006. The newer ones 2007-2009 already come with stainless steel washers go for $7,000.00 - $8,500.00.

I can attest to the depend ability of these supercharged motors. They are all I run. Like I said earlier my 2006 RXT is modified and has not had any problems.

Everybody has their fav's but when I find something good I stick with it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great info, thank you. Now my friends 92 vxr pro is a 2 seater but what a chore to get 2 ppl on it...I have not seen a rxp in person yet, are they a little bigger like can fit 2 ppl comfortably or no? Also what's involved to change these thrust washers and what's the cost. Would I have to remove the blower? Why do these need to be swapped out?
Two people can easily ride on the RXP without any problem. The ceramic thrust washers fail due to wear and will crack and start to break up, sometimes they will just go right thru the engine, other times not so good motor failure, something Seadoo tried and found out they wouldn't work for over 100 hours, but you will feel a power loss before they let go, yes you do have to get into the supercharger to replace them. But it is not real hard to do unless you are not mechanically inclined. Then a Seadoo dealer can change them for about $150.00. Best thing is if they are still in the supercharger go ahead and upgrade them and forget about it. If you want to see what one looks like, check EBAY motors. You will find them for sale there and it will also help you with used prices.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok going tomorrow to pick up an RXP I found I think im gonna take it. 2006 gold/blk around 85 hrs. Always serviced at seadoo shop and kept in garage during winter. agreed price of $5500 with single place trailer. Is this a decent deal?? ANYTHING anyone can think of to check for on this? Has not had the ceramic washers replaced, he an older guy and never heard of it before.
Excellent deal on the RXP, same year as my RXT. very good price if it runs out ok. Most definately change your creamic washers out. here are some other ideas heh, heh........:D:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, Kawasaki has the worst track record around here. Especially Ultras
I have nooo... problems with my supercharged and modified Seadoos, KAWASAKI IS THE MOST TOWED IN SKI BY FAR.:(

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh I def want exhaust bad! What do you got done? And also thank you very much for all of the information you gave me when I started this thread. It was extremely helpful in helping me decide what to get and great information on this model. I'm learning a lot:thumbsup:
What don't I have done is more like it, go to GREEN HULK forum. My friend Jerry Gaddis owns it and the linked PWC PERFORMANCE outta Louisana. Got to Seadoo 4tec performance. There you find the goodies lol. Look at the different RIVA parts/kits lots of stuff to choose from you can buy indivividual parts or kits made up of these parts, for instance you can buy a stage 1 kit, stage 2 kit and the beast that I have the stage 3 kit. The Stage 3 kit will give you the most improvements, yikes its $5,800, shipped to your door. However you get what you pay for. even the intake grate is better. I have two big boxes of stock parts that were exchanged for RIVA parts. Then the exhaust is a little can/waterbox that goes to a straight pipe and out the big exhust outlat on the port side of the transom. What a beautiful headturning sound that gives off. Also here is a Seadoo secret, we shave the revese bucket to match the nozzle so there is no resistance for the jet to be impeded. Then there are different nozzle rings mine runs best with the 82 mm. I also removed the OPAS system and installed RIVA racing sponsons, for less friction and drag. I also treat my hull with a very slippery polymer coating every time I launch for less drag. There are a couple more things that I did that I won,t give out just yet.

Main thing is look at the RIVA parts list and I gottem all, to see what is available. If you have the $$$ you can go really fast. It is rare that I lose a race, when I do It is against another Seadoo.

Here is the facts,

Stock-215 hp 68 mph

RIVA STAGE III kit with other mods 300hp+ - 76 mph all day long 77-78 mph with perfect conditions

Here is pics of engine mods

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Kawawhat???

Don't even give it a second thought about a Kawasaki Ultra 150 trying beat your RXP what a joke!!!!!!! Maybe if it was an Ultra 250 he might keep up. When the RXP was launched it took out the fastest ski at the time, the Yamaha GP1300R. Then it was at the top of the food chain for a few years. I f you lose to that there is something wrong with your ski.

Ok one thing you can do is shave the reverse bucket so when it is up there is nothing psrtially blocking the jet. So just cut it back so it curved up in the middle mirroring the jet nozzle when you look at it. The other is use an instant detailer on the bottom of the hull for less friction Meguiars is good. Learn how to use your trim , trim down for take off and trim up while accelerating to max speed. The Green Goblins are the least of your worries,ROFL:laugh:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Anyone? Would a better impeller help the hole shot? Also friend of mine might be picking up a 99 Kawi Ultra 150 tomorrow, he claims its faster then my RXP and everywhere I look says they do 70-72 stock, is this true? This is unacceptable for him to have the faster ski :D
I don't know where you are lookin but an Ultra 150 will not run 70 mph, that would make it as fast as the supercharged ultra 250,260. Don't think it is possible. As I said earlier the closest ski to the RXP was the Yamaha GP1300R. The RXP was the fastest production stock ski for years.

Now about your prop, if you pitch it back your hole shot should be better, but the expense of top speed. it also may hit the rev limiter. I suggested earlier that you trim your reverse bucket so it does not block the jet,thats good for 1-2 mph. Use your trim right and sit on the back of the ski to get the hull outta the water more.

Mods are the way to go. I just got into a race Sunday with a 2009 Seadoo RXP-X 255 hp, absolutely destroyed it so bad the guy was talking to himself. flagged from an idle, hole shot 5 ski lead by the time he planed out, at 1000 feet I won by 15 skis. So for better torque and horsepower mods are the answer

So tinkering will not give the results that mods due.:D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Is there a write up with pics anywhere on how exactly to do this bucket mod? I just dont want to loose reverse. The river has a nasty current by me and i use it a lot for loading and unloading it. But ill grind away for the 2mph. But mine just doesnt go anywhere out of the hole like it should I dont think, it just revs and hits the rev limiter then gets goin. Is this normal?

BTW Im planning on doing the riva stage 1 next month when I have the blower rebuilt and all that noise. Any other mods youd suggest why its off?
Ok I took some PICS of the before after bucket mod. My GTX has the stock bucket, my RXT has the shaved bucket if you look closley you can see the difference between the two. With RXT there is no visable obstruction:

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
More Seadoo secrets

Ok my buddies are already giving me s&^t about giving out secrets, but oh well we are in DE/MD we won't run into them. So I guess now you can see the difference in not shaving your reverse bucket. It is good for 1-2 mph.

Next up low drag racing sponsons good for another 1-2 mph. You can also see where my opas system had been removed and blocked off for less friction and drag.

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Artic brings up a good point about the wear ring. If it is bad it will feel like an automatic transmisson slipping where the rpms increase but little forward motion. I have never worn out a wear ring yet, avoid shallow sandy areas.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Stay away from stainless wear rings, my buddy tried one and didn't like it, he said it was making noises. he switched back. This the guy that has the fastest ski in our crew, it is a 2004 RXP with the works, top speed 82-84 mph on GPS.

The email address that Artic referenced is my friend Jerry Gaddis . He owns the GREEN HULK FORUM and PWC PERFORMANCE, he knows his stuff , he personally help me dial in my RXT RIVA STAGE III kit and it is very fast, bring on the Kawasaki 300 X

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Does shaving the reverse bucket affect the function of reverse?
You are only taking off appr 1/2" at the max apex of the curve then you taper it back to th sides. It backs up fine maybe you need slighlty more throttle in reverse. Remember that is a big reverse bucket, you are taking alittle of the bottom.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
811 Posts
From what I have been told the pump wedge kit for the RXP is to help the hull maintain a better angle out of the water in the bow.

·
Registered
811 Posts
And the steel one should never have to be replaced right?
Unless you can fabricate parts your gonna have to spend some $$$ to get much more speed outta your RXP. My friend, Mad Mike, has built a 2004 RXP up with his own recipe for mods. He used different parts, Rude Superchager, Bosch fuel injectors, a big aluminum fuel rail with pressure gage, a blowoff valve that looks like it should be on a car and about 50 other mods. I was out with him last week doing speed runs and racing unsuspecting newbs. His best three runs were 79.5 mph, 80.7 mph and the best at 81.5 mph. So now you see the where you are on the food chain, stock 68 mph, fully modded 81.5 mph. So there is a 13.5 mph difference between stock and Mike's ski. Now my ski the RXT 2006 is not as modded as Mike's RXP and is heavier, runs anywhere between 75.5 mph to 76.7 mph. So you see the law of physics teaches us the faster you go, the harder it is to go faster. It is much harder to make a ski go 10 mph faster when it already runs 70 mph. Then a ski that runs 50 mph to go ten mph faster at 60 mph.

So long story short minor mods get minor results. What good is a cold air if you don't have exhaust? Why change impellers with out HP increase? You will kill your fuel rate and your top speed for the sake of a hole shot? I can do that by changing nozzle rings not impellers. The idea is to get your ski to run on the sweet spot of your powerband, I can change the hole shot and the max rpms by changing nozzle rings, I have three an 81mm, 82mm, and 83mm. I use the 82mm right now to get up to 8500 rpms. I guess what I am sayin is don't expect much without mods.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I see what your saying, how easy is it to damage the stock one though compared to actually damaging the prop? My thinking was that while a small stick or something like that may damage the stock ring, it probably wouldn't hurt the steel one or the prop right? I found this on Ebay and it just seems like too good a deal to pass up! However if you guys really think its that much better to stick with plastic even at this price ill follow the advice of the experts..

Heres the link.

SeaDoo RXP/RXP-X/RXT/GTX Wear Ring w/ Stainless Sleeve | eBay
Most defineatly dude, stick with plastic as the sacrificial lamb not your impeller. My friend with the 81.5 mph RXP tried a stainless wear ring and switched back after he noticed damage to the impeller from it. tis just like putting a stainless steel prop on a boatmotor, the prop may take the abuse but the drive train won't and thus blown gears

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes I am seeing this on these ski's. Oh well looks like for this yr its just going to be a few bolts ons like the 4" intake, grate and exhaust. Next yr Ill either look into a X charger upgrade or just goto an RXP-X. 72-73 I think id be content with. for now...
You know you have to take off the OPAS system for the rear exhaust system and block it off. You are gonna need a cold air to go with the exhaust for noticable improvement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts