Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to buy my first PWC - Looking at a used 2012 RXPX 260 right now. Any advice on purchasing this PWC or any is welcomed. Some of my questions are
1) Anything I should look for or avoid with this year/model.
2) What kind of service is required?
3) How often should I service?
4) This has been and will remain a salt water ride(on an island), any concerns?
5) Can I tell how many hours are on it and how do I determine how well it has been maintained.
6) Anything else you know to help a newbie PWC purchaser would be awesome.
7) Can this pull a foil boarder?
8) Part easily available for a 9 year old ski?

·
Registered
6 Posts
1) Anything I should look for or avoid with this year/model.

It is a supercharged ski. Those models of SeaDoo's (pre 2017) must have the supercharger rebuilt every 100 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first. That can cost over $700 USD. You have to determine if that's a cost you're willing to pay every year or so.

2) What kind of service is required?

Carbon seal inspection, oil/spark plug changes, jet pump bearings when needed.

3) How often should I service?

See owners manual

4) This has been and will remain a salt water ride(on an island), any concerns?

Salt water skis are perfectly fine IF and only IF the owner has done the proper flushing/rinsing.

Fresh water flushing of the exhaust and pump area after every ride is a must. You may also need to rinse the engine bay.

It will be fairly obvious if the current owner has not done this.

5) Can I tell how many hours are on it and how do I determine how well it has been maintained.

It has an hour meter on the LCD info gauge.

The only way to know for sure it has been maintained is if the seller has maintenance records. No records; assume it was not maintained.

Otherwise, the cosmetic condition (hull, seat, engine bay, etc) is a decent indicator if it was maintained.

6) Anything else you know to help a newbie PWC purchaser would be awesome.

7) Can this pull a foil boarder?

More than likely.

8) Part easily available for a 9 year old ski?

Yes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for this information. I am concerned about having to rebuild the supercharger every year or 100 hours. This ski has been on the market for a while, not sure if that is because of this or lack of buyers here on the island. Right now they asking $6000(marked down a couple times) for this ski and it appears to have been a racing ski.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for this information. I am concerned about having to rebuild the supercharger every year or 100 hours. This ski has been on the market for a while, not sure if that is because of this or lack of buyers here on the island. Right now they asking $6000(marked down a couple times) for this ski and it appears to have been a racing ski.
I'd be extra cautious of a racing ski.

Test ride and compression test would be needed at a minimum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMHO, a 'newbee' should steer clear of a 'race' machine. A race machine is fine if you fully understand what it takes to keep it running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO, a 'newbee' should steer clear of a 'race' machine. A race machine is fine if you fully understand what it takes to keep it running.
I am leaning toward not getting this one. I am also concerned that it hasn't sold despite four price reductions. I'm not worried about doing the work of maintaining my pwc, more the complexity and amount of extra money that could go into this model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts