Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an old PWC for use at the beach, we go every year for a week. I have found a dealer who can set me up with a running PWC for $800. Probably a late 80s/early 90s model Yamaha WaveRunner or a Bombardier. Looking for light, agile, and fun more than top end speed.

1. Any recommendations as to a good late 80s or early 90s machine?

2. How much (ball park) am I going to have to put into the machine to get and keep it mechanically operational? I am not too concerned with cosmetics as I can repair glass and paint.

3. General comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look for a seadoo HX or one of the two seater 800s like the XP. Those are pretty fun skis, I also think you would like a Yamaha Blaster or maybe even an older superjet if you can find one might be a little out of that price range.

As far as upkeep I would get a compression test before you buy the ski to make sure the motor is good, you can do that buy getting a gauge they sell them at most places that sell tools or if you are buying from a marina they can probably do it for you. That test will make sure you dont buy a ski that is going to die soon. The stuff you will probably run into is little things like carb rebuilds and winterizations which are fairly inexpensive if you do them yourself.

hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts