Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my F-12X turns off, there is a buzzing noise at the rear of the ski somewhere below the rear fuse box. If unplug the red wire below the fuse box, the buzzing noise stops. When I insert the lanyard and after the LCD finishes its bootup dance, the buzzing stops immediately and the ski starts and runs fine. After shutting down the ski by removing the lanyard, when the LCD goes blank, the buzzing starts again.

The buzzing sounds like maybe a small motor running or a solenoid partially on.

For now, I am unplugging the red wire when the ski is not in use with no undesired effects.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posted by JrInJax in another thread: (there must be a good way to link to this other thread)

The part you need for EACH ski is:
Honda East of Toledo's 2006 Honda PWC ARX1200T3 AQUATRAX F-12X Parts List
They have a 100% failure rate due to internal corrosion and are a pain to change since it is behind the Main bottom electrical box. The red wire is hard to unclip since you can't see it. Buy one for each of your skis.
38580-HW1-672 and 79.99 online.
Honda of East Toledo has the best prices I have found.

For more information on maintaining your Hondas go to the Honda Forum on PWCTODAY.COM, there are a lot of good people there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JR,

I removed the relay module from my JetSki and sure enough, the potting has failed. The internal components have signs of rust from moisture. The potting was very easy to remove as it had fractures and was soft and broke apart easily. I have enclosed some pictures.

There is absolutely no magic in this module. two relays and two back emf diodes. The hardest part about recreating this module is the connectors and potting. I have no source for the connectors. I will order a new one and see if I am happy about the new potting.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is a great source of information and look just like mine that failed. Did you happen to notice if they are solid state relays? My Wife's Honda Pilot has all solid state relays and look similar to those. The Pilot's are all Omron relays.
Make sure you coat your new one with an anti corrosion coating before you install the new one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JR,

They are NOT SSRs. The relays worked fine and look to be in great condition after an internal inspection. They also seem to work fine on the workbench.

I cannot imagine they are the problem although I just ordered a replacement from Ronayers.com: Home for $68 + $8 S&H.

I will probably order a couple of replacement relays although at this point I do not think they are the issue. Under inspection with a microscope, the 2 pin connection shows some signs of minor rust while the 6 pin connector is pristine. The wires look to be in good shape and all of them test good with a meter.

Peter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anti-corrosion, I aalternae between Fluid File, Boeshield, and LPS #3. I have not tried or come across the CRC product and will keep my eyes open for it.

I took my Exhaust part out like you recommended and it was nearly clogged and had lots of salt deposits even though I ride in mostly fresh (slightly brackish) water. Pretty easy job except for the bolts have no room to access them. My wastegate actuator is in really good shape from the anti corrosives I am using so I did not do anything there.

Thanks for the instructions.

Peter

·
Registered
236 Posts
Peter,
The CRC Heavy Corrosion Spray is a brown nasty cosmoline related compound, but it works great.

My boat engine is a Merc 2.5 with the short [15"] racing midsection. Every time I come off plane it gets dunked, many times in salt water. Once a year I recoat the powerhead with the CRC and except for looking nasty, I have never had a corrosion related problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just like JR said. Replace the part and it will work like new. 38580-HW1-672 purchased from ronayers.com for $76.17 including S&H

As far as I could tell the old part works on my workbench and looked good after un-potting and dis-assembly. I was not able to test the contact resistances on this one but the relays clicked and seemed to have correct continuity - I have ordered replacement relays and will test with the replacements.

I also replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the exhaust per JR's excellent instructions, greased the shaft, and changed the oil and filter.

Runs like new.

Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to be having the same problem (buzzing sound while turned off). I looked up the part # 38580-HW1-672 that someone posted here but it doesn’t look anything like the picture Mr House attached to his post. The attached picture is what comes up when searched online. I haven’t removed the relay yet but wanted to go ahead and order a new one. Is this what I need or am I missed something? Thanks for the help! Noland

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts