Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 89 Kawasaki 650sx from second owner who rarely rode it (2x a year.) Runs great, but not sure if I should bypass oil pump and pre-mix or not. Either way, following this season i plan on having local mechanic replace fuel lines and oil line. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
The oil injection systems in these things are pretty good. Just need to check the lines regularly to make sure they are still secure and pliable. If they don't bend easily, and feel hard, they need to be replaced pronto.
There's no reason you can't replace the fuel and oil lines, and rebuild the carb. That's easy work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply. I also had some time and searched previous posts and see that if there is an issue, it's typically the lines not the pump. In reference to fuel line replacement, having difficult time locating OEM. Fine with aftermarket but can't find that one site that has it all. Who is the go to website for jetski parts? Again, appreciate your help.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
For the oil line, just go to your local hardware or home improvement store and get the appropriate size and length of Tygon fuel line. The jet ski store or the watercraft superstore has fuel line you can buy in different lengths or by the foot. They should have it in different colors also. Your also going to need good quality 4inch zip ties for securing the line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Got some new lines on the way and an OEM oil line. Probably way over spent. Cleaned the inside as there were old oily rags and such on the bottom of hull. Ran it and fresh oil on bottom. Oil line from tank and line to carb flexible and dry. Where would this oil come from? Oil tank if close to full and dry as well. Ran it on trailer in water and could not see any drips or evidence of leak....

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Could have been from a previous break or spill or from priming the oil pump. I highly doubt that is the original injection line. They just don't stay flexible for more than a few years at best. The reason I go with Tygon line is it's designed for fuel, and it's semi transparent so I can see where the oil is and when the air bubbles are out.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
I just thought of something else you really should do seeing how old it is. I would do a pressure check on the engine to make sure the crank seals are good. It's a pain because the intake and exhaust have to be securely blocked off, but it's insurance that it won't run lean from a air leak. Once blocked off you can use a pop off gauge to check it. Should hold 6-8 psi max for 30 min.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil system works well unless you do a bunch of power mods and it therefore runs at higher rpm than originally designed. Then the crank walk gets severe enough to snap the oil pump shaft and it no longer pumps oil and seizes your engine. But I strongly recommend running an injection system whenever it is possible. But if you ever highly mod that 650, it's not possible - at least for long.

If you ever wish to mod it, I've a few extra performance parts for it (the best is a Johnny O's supercharger) and am located in central WI. Also have a few extra X2's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts