Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about a guy who's ski revved out of control while flushing it in the driveway. He also said that when he had it in the water it did the same thing. I've had my 98 1200 rev out of control while flushing, and when I pulled the lanyard, the damned thing continued to run away! I couldn't choke it because it has a primer, so shut the fuel off and waited until it finally ran out.

I pulled the carbs off and had to rebuild them. One comment said a vacuum leak probably caused it. I spoke to a mechanic and he said it can happen if your flushing but doesn't happen if you're under a load or in the water. Where I live there's intracoastal walls and lots of boats in the ocean ... you can get into some real trouble fast on an out of control ski.

Has anyone heard of this ... ski revving out of control while in the water?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Over revving the engine is a potential problem for older skis when out of the water not under load. Newer skis have computer controlled rev-limiters. I'm not sure about the 98 1200, but it may not have a limiter, so I'd be careful when running it out of the water (even on the hose it will not load the engine). I've not heard of the problem happening in the water. It is possible to have the throttle stick open (rusty cable, bad carb., etc.). Pulling the lanyard should have killed it unless the switch is stuck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts