Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a water front lot in FL upon which I am building a house. I am thinking of putting a ramp on the back yard but because the lot is quite small, probably wont be able to pave a path to the street, so I am thinking of storing my jetski(I don't have one yet, but will be the firs thing to buy once the house is complete) on the backyard and launch/retrieve by hand on the ramp, is that possible? Or would it be too heavy?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a water front lot in FL upon which I am building a house. I am thinking of putting a ramp on the back yard but because the lot is quite small, probably wont be able to pave a path to the street, so I am thinking of storing my jetski(I don't have one yet, but will be the firs thing to buy once the house is complete) on the backyard and launch/retrieve by hand on the ramp, is that possible? Or would it be too heavy?
It really depends on how strong you are lol, also how much of a slant is on your ramp, I can push my Trailer and Yamaha FX-SHO Jet Ski around my front yard from one driveway to the other, over the gutter and up a slope, I am 65, but I did many years of Weights at the Gym and still have 19 inch biceps.
I can still bench 150kg, I don't go to the Gym as often as I should.
My Son is 40 and he can move the Ski around as well, but he has done a lot of physical work tree loping and moving large logs about.
If you work in an Office and dont do Gym then I would recommend a motorised winch that raises and lowers your trailer up and down your ramp.
Otherwise make a friend in your new area and get Her/Him to help you.
It's like saying how long is a piece of string, what I or some one else can do doesn't mean a thing when it comes to another person.
My answer is if you are a normal healthy active man then you should be able to move a Jet Ski around on reasonably level ground, if a 65 year old can push one by himself up the gutter and up a slope equal to most normal boat ramps.
My Ski weighs 827lbs with no fuel and I normally have it at least half full when moving it about so add another 9 Australian gallons of fuel to the weight and what ever the Trailer weighs.
I think the wheels on the trailer help a lot as trying to pull the Ski up onto the beach or off takes a lot more effort :).
I hope this helps you ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gardum! That's a very thoughtful reply. I am, unfortunately a office rat, but I am in my early 50s, maybe I will install a winch in 20 years, but I think I'd be fine for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Gardum! That's a very thoughtful reply. I am, unfortunately a office rat, but I am in my early 50s, maybe I will install a winch in 20 years, but I think I'd be fine for now.
Glad I could help, happy Jet Skiing, by the way what Ski you going to get ?
When you go to the Jet Ski Dealer, try moving a Ski to see how easily they move on the flat and you will soon know if you will have any trouble at home ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havn't decided yet, VX cruiser look pretty promising. Don't really like the new "sexy girl ambassador" from Seadoo, seems so lame! haha!

I actually got some help from my son, so lets say the boat weights 700lbs + trailer 300lbs + 18 gallon of gas 113lbs = 1113 lbs total, let's say the boat ramp slope is 8 degree, SIN(8) * 1113 = 155 lbs. I guess when I get older, definitely will need a winch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I havn't decided yet, VX cruiser look pretty promising. Don't really like the new "sexy girl ambassador" from Seadoo, seems so lame! haha!

I actually got some help from my son, so lets say the boat weights 700lbs + trailer 300lbs + 18 gallon of gas 113lbs = 1113 lbs total, let's say the boat ramp slope is 8 degree, SIN(8) * 1113 = 155 lbs. I guess when I get older, definitely will need a winch.
Also depends on how good your shoes are or the ground base, if you are making the ramp get a rubberised coating or slightly rough concrete finish as I find the road and concrete areas I move the Ski over are the best for traction, once I get on the grass slope, it has to be dry or I go bare foot :).
Or you could go to Gym for a year or two and the winch can be put off for a few more years ;) The extra bone density from doing weights is an extra bonus for us older guys :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts