Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a jet ski, but I just don't know which one I want. I love the RXP and/or RXP-X for being a 2 seater, nimble and faster then heck, but I've heard bad things about sea-doo's reliability. The last thing I want to do is sink 20 grand into 2 skis only to have one break 1 year later.

Then I looked at the Honda R-12 or F-15x. Again, R-12 for being speedy and a 2 seater, but the F-15x for being hella fast and larger.

Then I'm also lookin at the yamaha fx sho, or fx ho.

My head is just spinning. Basically I want a ski that is fast, nimble and reliable. Price is not really that big of a deal. I also want to be able to take it on longer trips (1-2 hours) if need be and it be able to handle waves. I know everyone says the 3 seater is practical, but ive driven a 2 and 3 seater sea doo before and they are like night and day. You can really whip the 2 seater around and the 3 seater is much more secure and just feels bigger.

Does anyone know if you can try these jet skis before you buy them? I've just searched the internet for over an hour and no one rents the skis i'm looking at. What if I buy one and I don't like it? Do dealers really expect you to spend 12k on a jet ski without testing it first? Just seems a little crazy to me. You test drive a car, don't ya?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yamaha FX SHO is your ski. It is the biggest and the best and will last long long time. Sea doo is built to support their service department.

And unfortunately no dealer that I know of will test drive watercraft.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the Tampa, FL area.

I do like the look of the Yamaha, but i'm just worried about it being a three seater. I've renting a Yamaha VX110 before and then I've also ridden a friends Sea Doo XP. They were completely different machines. The VX110 was solid, but hard to turn and just seemed sluggish. The XP was nimble and fast, but i'm guessing it wouldn't fair too well with waves do to it's small size. Have you ridden a two and three seater? How do you think the FX SHO compares handling wise?

I just don't get how a dealer expects you to buy a 12k jet ski without trying it. It just doesn't make sense to me. I haven't visited any dealers yet, but I plan to this weekend to start doing some more in depth research. Maybe they can give me some ideas as where to test drive them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in Virginia, and of the two dealers I considered buying from one has demo days every once in awhile, and the other was perfectly willing to put a boat in the water and let me try it out.

I don't know if that is common or not, but I suspect that the slow economy means dealers are not moving as many pure-luxury type devices as they were a year or two ago...

shooter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts