Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how it started
I have been working on a 1987 650 sx. I bought it from a guy who couldn’t figure out the piston clips so. I had some stock pistons and rings from another ski installed them and put it back together. Fired it up it ran for 30 seconds twice. Idle was low but I thought I has gotten the hard stuff done and moved on to other projects while waiting for warm weather.
When I went to fire it again a month later I couldn’t get anything except one loud back fire. Did a compression test and it was only 30. I broke it down to the pistons again used a different stock set, block and head from another ski. Still no fire but got one backfire again. New compression was still low at 95 but this should still fire until I can get a new head gasket ( I think that’s my problem given I reused it… I know I know but I cant just walk into the store and buy them).
I don’t now what to do from here I cleaned the carb and all looks to be good there but I am no carb expert I just follow what the you tube videos say. I have resorted to even dropping gas into the carb and still nada. Spark is good my only guess now is timing but I have never had to check this and don’t know how can anyone please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Had the same problem and symptoms last week and discovered a broken woodruff key on the magneto rotor. It's role is to position the rotor relative to the crankshaft to ensure proper timing.

When it beaks, the timing gets changed drastically usually causing your symptoms.

Sorry answer is just a few years late...:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts