Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby Jet Ski Owner. Is it a good idea to use a 1 or 2 amp Trickle Charger on the batteries, while the batteries are inside the Jet Ski. I want to keep the batteries charged at all times during the season. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Marc5
2020 SeaDoo GTX 170's
St. George, Utah

·
Registered
12 Posts
Either would be fine, I even have used a 1/2 amp charger thru the week when only riding weekends. The important thing for a trickle charger is that it self-regulates, and shuts off or backs down the current as the batter comes up to full charge. Often these are called maintenance chargers. Read the label carefully. Continuing to trickle in even a 1/2 Amp after the battery is charged will overheat the battery and cause it to fail or explode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have a trickle charger on your Towing vehicle ? if you owned a motorbike did you trickle charge it all week or until you decided to ride it ?
A battery will stay charged and have no problems even if you leave it for a month or more.
I have a work Van that sits next to my house that I use maybe once a month or less as I retired a few years ago and the Van comes in handy now and again :) and yet I can jump into it and start it first kick every time.
You only need to charge a battery if it starts to go flat, if you ride it once a week then all is good.
If you Winterise your Ski does the battery go flat, no it won't unless it's getting near its end date :)
A Ski battery is no different to any other, if there is no draw then it stays charged.
If you are worried about the battery try and start the Ski the day before going out and if it sounds sluggish then chuck it on charge, make sure you disconnect the positive terminal before charging.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gardum,
I’m not trying to kick up a rats nest, but your experience and my experience are not the same.
I trickle charge my motorcycles and jet skis all winter with a KTM charger that is suited to these batteries. I don’t charge during the week, although now that the governor has shut down the public boat ramps, Im likely not getting out on the water again very soon or very often until this virus abates.

OP, get a maintenance charger suited to small batteries. I have never disconnected any of my cables while charging. I have always charged mine in situ. I have always left my seats wide open for ventilation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Lexingtom, I just use a cheap Harbor Freight "automatic battery float charger" and leave it plugged into my jetskis all winter long and they have lasted for 7 -8 years. But be careful not to buy a battery charger but float charger or maintenance charger. These type have a self-regulating "floating" circuitry to bring it up to full charge, and then automatically cut the flow of voltage back to maintain a full charge without overcharging. A battery charger will just keep powering in the juice even after the battery is charged, and overcharge, overheat and explode the battery.
And yes - definitely leave the seat off, the hood propped open, and keep the area around the battery ventilated where ever it sits. And if it is sitting on a concrete floor, its best to put a piece of wood under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts