Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a FYI for anyone else the GY6 AC CDI works on the 1991 Yamaha WR500Q Waverunner (6K8 )

White/red stripe (pulser coil), Brown (CDI power), White/black stripe (ground stud), 2 greens (regulator), I left the Black stator wire and the pink Temp wire unhooked.

This is the CDI i am using. That only cost $10
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O1V326/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

So far i have the CDI hooked up as

Green (Stud/coil ground), black (Kill switch), Blue (Pulse), Red (CDI power), Yellow (Coil) and that will leave one green ground on the CDI not hooked up....

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice find, I discovered this last year myself after buying a $250 stock CDI which didn't work. Great to see people still working on these, they're a blast to ride!

PS: We really should find somewhere to get this info stickied.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be, With these getting older by the day its time a list of Aftermarket parts that wasn't ment for but will work is made..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cdl cheep

Could you explain one more time. I hooked them up like you said but yet no fire unless I take the green wire of the racing Cdl box and tap it on the stud then it fires the plugs did I miss something in the wiring? Thank you in advance.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Green- ground, black- kill switch, blue- pulse, red- cdi power, yellow- coil. Leaves one green not hooked up. Both green are grounds, but one is a trigger ground.

This is actually a 4 stroke cdi, but if it works.....
I have read they make a 2 stroke version.
I'm actually working on someones little scooter right now, and have a wiring diagram some where. I'll look for the grounds in it. The only greens I remember seeing are all grounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys,

I have a little problem with my wj500, i got no spark and after some investigation the cdi is broken.
Does someone have a link (alieexpress) for this cdi, is it a 4 stroke or 2 stroke?
Also i see on aliexpress that there are these kind of cdi with 5 pin and 6 pins.
Also i have a cdi for a gy6 block 4 stroke a scooter called peugeot kisbee, will this work?? I dont know if it is AC or DC.

Thanks for youre time.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
It's for a 4 stroke, but has been figured out how to work on the 2 strokes. Just google it. There's lots of info out there on it. They also make a 2 stroke box, but I don't know if it's compatible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a FYI for anyone else the GY6 AC CDI works on the 1991 Yamaha WR500Q Waverunner (6K8 )

White/red stripe (pulser coil), Brown (CDI power), White/black stripe (ground stud), 2 greens (regulator), I left the Black stator wire and the pink Temp wire unhooked.

[ame]Amazon.com: New 50cc 125cc 150cc Gy6 Moped Scooter Go Kart High Performance Racing Round Cdi Ac Fired: Automotive

Green (Stud/coil ground), black (Kill switch), Blue (Pulse), Red (CDI power), Yellow (Coil) and that will leave one green ground on the CDI not hooked up....
All of this looks like a fix for my 1989 WR500F waverunner with what I believe is a bad CDI.

My CDI to harness wires are Brown with Blue wrap, Orange, white with Green stripe, black, Yellow (unattached) Pink, white with Red Stripe, brown and black double with stud ring (Ground)...

How would those match up to the Blue aftermarket CDI box. TIA !

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have no idea if that will work. Or how to do that. But I found several cdi's for your ski on ebay. There a bit costly though at $250. Search "Yamaha 6k8-85540-11-00" or 6k8-85540-10-00 that's the part number for your cdi. One supersedes the other.

·
Registered
1 Posts

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O1V326/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Do you have a better pic or can you tell me the colors that are wired together I just got this box and would like to see it f I can get it wired up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have a better pic or can you tell me the colors that are wired together I just got this box and would like to see it f I can get it wired up
I am with you lol..... way he says it it kinda make sense but picture would be better.... his picture is confusing cause he mixed up so many wires to make connections

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am attempting to do this but this guy didn’t even use right wire colors connect to the CDI like why did you do that......

·
Registered
1 Posts

[ame]Amazon.com: New 50cc 125cc 150cc Gy6 Moped Scooter Go Kart High Performance Racing Round Cdi Ac Fired: Automotive

Thanks for this post! I bought two non-running 1990 Waverunners, a 650 and 500. I put this CDi box in the 500 and it fired right up. As instructed, I left one green disconnected and the pink for the temp sensor.

The black stator wire was also left disconnected like in the picture. However should this be run to ground or simply taped off?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts