Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 1992 yamaha waverunner vxr 650 for next to nothing over the winter. Im new to the pwc scene and was wondering if there is a standard checklist of stuff i need to go over before putting this thing in the water. Ive replaced the pump and impeller and shaft (the old one was rotted out) and Im waiting on my starter rebuild kit to get here, ive also removed and cleaned out the old injector pump resivior. Just would like to get some input. Thank ahead of time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How long did it sit? If it was awhile like you describe, i would rebuild the carbs to avoid headaches down the road. Make sure you have a good fuel filter on the line and run fresh fuel/oil! I would go premix and avoid a pump catastrophe. Use new plugs. Check compression. The standard stuff. You seem to know but dont forget these things I've mentioned. Repost how it goes!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I have an automotive degree so I know my way around motors pretty well and have raced and rebuilt several 2 stroke dirt bikes, but never an oil injected engine. I thought the oil injection system is pretty convenient especially for long rides but I do see the need for running a block off plate and premix only just incase the the pump takes a turn for the worst. I mean do these things just go bad or what? I bought some new oil lines a the auto parts store to replace them because the old ones were brittle. The last time the thing was even in the water was in 2004 according to the sticker on the side of it. The motor sounds strong, it starts right up and has great throttle response (when the starter engages haha, but my rebuild kit for it just came in today so I am going to do that this weekend). A local professional jet ski rider that runs the shop I got the jet pump assembly from said those old 650's like mine were pretty much bullet proof as long as the oil injection pump doesn't go out; is that true? One more question, on my ktm dirt bike I ran anywhere from 32:1 to 50:1 oil/gas ratio what should it be for a pwc with premix? Thanks for all the info., I really appreciate it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts