Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am absolute newbie in jetskis and I am about to buy my first. I decided it will be Waverunner as I hear it is reliable, stable, easy to maintain.
Choosing the model and even a category is challenging. Here is where I need your help.
So far I ruled out turbo-charged engine models as they require premium gas and have shorter live. Also not sure I need even more power that regular engine provide.
3 cylinder engine seems like it might be not enough to carry 3 adults and pull out of the water full size man on skis or a board.
I hope to occasionally go on long trips so I would think that cruiser seat make sense.
Other than pulling skis behind I don't care how fast it will accelerate from zero and max speed.
I can buy any of them just dont want to pay for more of what I really need.
Please help me to choose right model and point out to me if something above doesn't make sense for you

At the moment I am in between
VX CRUISER HO vs FX CRUISER HO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,
I am in the same page as you,
Just got into pwc last summer and I bought my first ski which is 2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250X. its a good ski but it’s old and I felt the need of something reliable on the water.
So I am on the market for 2020 Yamaha.
initially I decided to go with FX cruiser as I did not have good experience with my Ultra 250.
I don’t care how fast the ski goes and reaches 60-70 mph, I kinda like going slow and enjoy the ride. But on the other hand I don’t mind to have the option being able to going fast.
That being said, I am stuck between FX cruiser or FX SVHO Limited.
My thought process is I am going to spend 15k-18k on it and I am planning to keep the machine for several years and I don’t want to buy the non-supercharged now and regret the decision later, and on the other hand I am afraid that with buying the supercharged one I will be trading off the reliability.

so I am really stuck here, if anyone have any comments I would appreciate it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is pretty quite here... I wonder what would be the difference in estimated live span of charged and not-charged Waverunners, given all other parameters (salt water exposure, occasional abuse) the same

·
Registered
29 Posts
My advice after going through the same things as you are now looking at.
I bought a 2008 Yamaha FX-SHO, it only had 280 hours fully maintained and I got it for $5600 with trailer a few years ago.
It uses normal unleaded fuel but doesn't have quite as much power as the premium fueled versions as it's designed for reliability, it has 215 HP standard which is more than your non SC versions, it carries 3 people easily and does about 63 mph flat out.
Fuel economy is great and I now use less fuel than I did with my Kawasaki 550 Pole Ski for a day out.
I can pull Wakeboarders and a tube with three people on it or a Skier.
The advantage of getting a well looked after older ski is that for one it's cheaper, then you also get a more powerful Ski than non SCéd, the SC doesn't add much to maintenance as it lasts for 800 hours unless you are the type that likes to rev a Jet Ski when it's not in the water.
If you are new to Jet Skiing and haven't owned one before and you are looking at the Cruiser any way, then do yourself a favour and get the SHO, you won't be sorry.
If you buy non SC then you can't just chuck a SC on, Turbo yes but at the cost is ridiculous.
With the SHO you can upgrade the SC impeller and get a higher Boost if you wish that brings it from 215 to 235 very easily or even more if you really get into it and have the money that you saved from buying a later model non SCéd.
I use mine a lot and was told by friends of mine that are in the Life Savers that their Skis used to do at least 2000 hours plus before they were replaced.
Yamaha say that if you use Yamaha products in the servicing that they guarantee 4000 hours from a 1800 engine.
I have done a few mods to my Ski since I saved so much compared to buying the newer versions that it now goes as fast as I could ever need and runs more economical as all the mods I did were to make it run better and cooler, I bought all the external add ons for the engine as well as the upgraded cooling kit, so it breathes better and exhausts better which also made it run a little better but more economical as well :)
The design of the hulls is not a lot different in the cruiser range and they all have the same 1800 Engine so just make sure you get one with a full service history and check the engine bay for oxidation and rust, if it looks like new and has a service history, then take it for a test run and make sure it starts first kick and idles smoothly, check under the hull to see if you can see large scratches or repairs.
I can guarantee you won't be disappointed getting a 2008 SHO or if you get a later model because you have money to throw around make sure you check which models had any issues.
If you buy through a dealer you will then also get a warranty.
I look at the newer versions at the Beach or Dam when we go out and I don't see the $20,000 extra value over the cost that mine was as a new Ski where I live is $26,000, I also get to use normal unleaded which is a huge saving over a year on the water :).
Just let me know if you are in my area and you can take mine for a spin to see what I am talking about ;) or if there is a Jet Ski club in your area have a greet and meet with them to see :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gardum, thank you for your reply.
It personally looks to me not the best choice to buy a 10 y.o. anything except real estate. Not for a third of the price of a brand new thing. For the similar to modern FX HO that is 10 y. o. and has perfect history track from one owner, I can offer 1/10 of a price - $1,500 tops! But for some reason ;)they are hard to come across. Ideally, I would buy a 1-3 year-old ski for 2/3 of a price of new from a reputable seller.
Last thing I want to do with my PWC is to customize and upgrade it. I want to ride it to islands and riffs, pull and be pulled on skis and wake-board, use it as a rescue if I get in to kite boarding. Just a thought of doing more research for upgrades or finding people that can do those upgrades for me, turns me off from owning PWC in a first place.
I know most guys love to custom their cars, bikes and so forth. I am a tiny minority of people who tries to buy perfect package and take full advantage of using it as much as possible, and if it turns out not to stand to demands, I will sell it with no regrets.
Were do you live? I can't imaging a new waverunner cost $26K

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I live in Australia and that is the price, America has things a lot cheaper than we can get things here :(.
As I said I bought mine a few years ago for $5600 at that time it was about $25 or 26K for a new version.
I could only see a few minor advances as well as the bad advance to Premium fuel, where I live that's about $0.30 a litre more so $6 per 20 litre or $21 per tank full, this means over a year I save $1500 at least, this covers my services plus money left over towards mods.
I enjoy doing simple things these days and mods are all so simple a child could do them.
I am past 63 and am retired since I bought my Ski.
When you self fund retirement you need to look at savings, I could have easily bought a $26,000 new Jet Ski but why ?
My Ski for $5600 only had 280 hours, they can do an easy 4000 hours, 800 hours for a SC rebuild that only costs $145, I already bought the kit as it's cheaper now then it will be in 4 or 5 years.
My Ski had just had $1600 spent on it 4 weeks before I bought it and i knew the Service centre that did the work and so I called them and asked about the Ski, I was told it was in perfect condition and when he asked what price he told me I was mad if I didn't buy it for that price.
The kid selling it was going overseas for a few years.
I only did the mods as I enjoyed doing them.
My only two things I will do is to get the low boost SC wheel that I can do myself, it increases Boost from the standard 7lbs to 13 or 14lbs, no fuel change or injector and fuel pump changes needed.
It will give me a little over 235 hp not as much as the more expensive Premium fuel versions that are 250 to 300 hp.
For $3500 I can get a stage three kit and tune and be as fast or faster than the $26K versions and still be under $10K.
I am not sure what your problem with a 11 year old Ski is as I still know people that buy the 1200 two stroke Yamaha Ski as they are still a force on the water and cheap to keep running :).
But by all means some people have more money than sense and enjoy throwing thousands away just to be able to say that theirs is a few years younger ;) They do this with Women as well lol.
You don't have to do anything to your older Ski, just ride and enjoy the savings as you can buy three and share with family or friends ;).
I was only saying about the mods if you enjoyed this as I do, I didn't need to mod mine, it just ran first time every time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anechets-
Last year I was in your same shoes. I had the budget and desire to buy new. I needed two skis as this is a family affair. After having owned two 2019 VX Cruisers, I can honestly say that they are great except in the two areas you have interest in (and I don’t): long distance cruises and pulling a grown man out of the water on skis. For tubing, the VX Cruiser is awesome. But I don’t think it would be my choice for water skiing. Also, for long distance running, you need to move up from the Cruiser.
I just took my skis in to have them winterized. I took mine to a local, well known guy who strongly advised me to stay away from the desire to purchase turbo on these. It sounds like you and I have the same philosophy and it sounds like we have the same means to get what we want, just not more than we need. If that’s true, then get as much power as you can without the turbo. In this way, since you also like to cruise at moderate rates of speed, you’ll actually contribute to a longer engine life by staying on the lower side of the engine.
Buying my VX Cruisers was the best decision for me. If I only needed one, I would have bought more, but in all honesty, having what I have is certainly enough for me. I always want more!!🤣

I guess if I had to add in the long distance and ski pull option, I’d go with the FX Cruiser HO, all the bells and whistles, no turbo, regular fuel.
Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anechets-
Last year I was in your same shoes. I had the budget and desire to buy new. I needed two skis as this is a family affair. After having owned two 2019 VX Cruisers, I can honestly say that they are great except in the two areas you have interest in (and I don’t): long distance cruises and pulling a grown man out of the water on skis. For tubing, the VX Cruiser is awesome. But I don’t think it would be my choice for water skiing. Also, for long distance running, you need to move up from the Cruiser.
I just took my skis in to have them winterized. I took mine to a local, well known guy who strongly advised me to stay away from the desire to purchase turbo on these. It sounds like you and I have the same philosophy and it sounds like we have the same means to get what we want, just not more than we need. If that’s true, then get as much power as you can without the turbo. In this way, since you also like to cruise at moderate rates of speed, you’ll actually contribute to a longer engine life by staying on the lower side of the engine.
Buying my VX Cruisers was the best decision for me. If I only needed one, I would have bought more, but in all honesty, having what I have is certainly enough for me. I always want more!!🤣

I guess if I had to add in the long distance and ski pull option, I’d go with the FX Cruiser HO, all the bells and whistles, no turbo, regular fuel.
Good luck and have fun!!
For one I am amazed you think the Skis come with turbos ?
They come with SuperChargers a totally different mechanism to a turbo, a SuperCharger is far more reliable and gives constant power from low to high with no lag spots like a turbo does.
I know the difference as i have a Car with twin turbos and my Sho has a SuperCharger.
Considering the SuperCharger has a maintenance schedule of 800 hours from what I have seen with how many hours most people do on their Skis they would never need to pay for one, every Ski I saw for sale when I was buying mine had well less than 500 hours.
The service cost of a SC versus a non is exactly the same so no difference there, yes on the later models you will need Premium fuel and was why I bought my older model as it's way faster than a FX-HO and still uses only Standard fuel.
The difference when Towing anything is huge and very noticeable as is the difference in Holeshot and all the way through to top speed, the standard HO lags behind.
I am not saying the Standard HO is a slow SKI, for a normally aspirated SKI it is great.
It's no different though to if you had a normally aspirated Car and was next to me at the lights trying to beat me to 60 as I have twin Turbos and the HP to leave you wondering if you accelerated or not ;).
It's when you want to Tow or carry three people that you notice the difference between a normal and SCéd SKI.

I would recommend not listening to anyone other than to get a few ideas and take a couple for a test run, take an older FX-SHO and a newer FX-HO and see if there is any difference ?
I prefer to save money and get the benefit of someone else getting the kinks fixed rather than pay top price to find things that are not to my liking and tough luck.
I can sell my FX-SHO any time for more than I paid for it, you can't say the same for a new unit lol, you can say yay I paid top price for a slower unit and lose a few thousand trying to offload it ;)
I could have bought an FX-HO as well as my FX-SHO and still had change left over for my fuel and servicing for the next few years compared to a new or newer version.
I can afford to get my SKI serviced by the dealer because I didn't waste money on unnecessary gadgets the newer version may have like a fancier step or fancier Digital display or a filler cap moved to a different spot.
If you don't take them for a test first then who cares as you will never know the difference, I always test drive anything before buying and I always test to see the difference between older models and the newer versions and there isn't always a benefit to newer.
My older FX-SHO has more HP than a FX-HO, it out performs the FX-HO in every way and it still uses standard unleaded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My bad. You’re right, of course. I was lazy in my typing. I know the difference, too, but sorry I flubbed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This week I made a few more steps towards owning the dream. So I wanted to share and ask some more questions.

While at Tampa FL, I visited local dealer (found on yamahawaverunners.com) and asked to show me EX, VX, FX and GP. Up until this week I didn't mount a FX and only had two times in my live rode rented waverunners (don't remember what models). So the owner of the store said he didn't have them in stock, only EX and GP. And he didn't give me any reason to buy from him v.s. buying from any other dealer in FL or GA. That was last Thursday...
... Last Friday I called another dealer close to my house in Atlanta GA and asked if they have FX on the floor. They said, yest, but when I went there, they didn't have any FX on the floor but plenty of EXs and SeeDoos.
By now I thought that some higher power doesn't want me to get in to riding but looking for places to go with my family on Saturday I bumped in Boat Show in Atlanta WCS. Sure enough there was Waverunner booth, all models on the floor and not only I finally had a chance to see and touch FX Cruiser HO, I had my family to sit on it altogether.
First thing my wife noticed and gave me very hard time about was the sticker, see attached View attachment 18390

We went through all the stages of Freaking out, Laughing it out and finally accepting such limitations in wardrobe.
I had a long talk to a sales guy (I believe Yamaha staffs their booth with local dealer's sales people).
He is what he calculated: I want to share with the world and also ask if that is the best I can get for now and in a few months from now.
Price on the website - $14,199

1. Price without Dealer Rigging and Preparations - $13,501 (that is what is getting taxed and it is the reason they use is as the starting price)
2. Trailer, galvanized ComFab 2020 Single - $849
3. Total purchase above - 14,350
4. Georgia Sales Tax 6% - $861
5. Dealer Rigging $698 is crossed, and replaced with - $299
6. Freight - $399
7. Doc Fees $249 is crossed, and replaced with - $149
Total is $16,058

They also add a cover according to them value of $300 and 3 year extra warranty according to them value of $900.
Looks not bad? Except I was thinking that with MSRP $14,199, I can get some hard bargain to 11k or 12k. May be last year model, may be a couple of scratches or 5 hours on the motor.
Also was looking forward to boat shows in Fort Lauderdale and Miami hopeing to get a great deal there.
Do I have my expectations too high?
If I decide to buy a year or two-old one, where would I find a true value for it? Is there a Bluebook for waverunners available online for free?
Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
This week I made a few more steps towards owning the dream. So I wanted to share and ask some more questions.

While at Tampa FL, I visited local dealer (found on yamahawaverunners.com) and asked to show me EX, VX, FX and GP. Up until this week I didn't mount a FX and only had two times in my live rode rented waverunners (don't remember what models). So the owner of the store said he didn't have them in stock, only EX and GP. And he didn't give me any reason to buy from him v.s. buying from any other dealer in FL or GA. That was last Thursday...
... Last Friday I called another dealer close to my house in Atlanta GA and asked if they have FX on the floor. They said, yest, but when I went there, they didn't have any FX on the floor but plenty of EXs and SeeDoos.
By now I thought that some higher power doesn't want me to get in to riding but looking for places to go with my family on Saturday I bumped in Boat Show in Atlanta WCS. Sure enough there was Waverunner booth, all models on the floor and not only I finally had a chance to see and touch FX Cruiser HO, I had my family to sit on it altogether.
First thing my wife noticed and gave me very hard time about was the sticker, see attached View attachment 18390

We went through all the stages of Freaking out, Laughing it out and finally accepting such limitations in wardrobe.
I had a long talk to a sales guy (I believe Yamaha staffs their booth with local dealer's sales people).
He is what he calculated: I want to share with the world and also ask if that is the best I can get for now and in a few months from now.

1. Price without Dealer Rigging and Preparations - $13,501 (that is what is getting taxed and it is the reason they use is as the starting price)
6. Freight - $399
Total is $16,058

They also add a cover according to them value of $300 and 3 year extra warranty according to them value of $900.
Looks not bad? Except I was thinking that with MSRP $14,199, I can get some hard bargain to 11k or 12k. May be last year model, may be a couple of scratches or 5 hours on the motor.
Also was looking forward to boat shows in Fort Lauderdale and Miami hopeing to get a great deal there.
If I decide to buy a year or two-old one, where would I find a true value for it? Is there a Bluebook for waverunners available online for free?
Thank you
There is a fundamental choice here: either you want new and you want to be able to break your own skis in, you want to haul them away from the dealership and you want to know them from day1 and a few more dollars isn’t a situation for you.
Or- you want skis and you want fairly new, but you don’t want to take the hit and while you “could” afford it, you don’t know if you should. The price break is worth the uncertainty of what Owner #1 has/has not done properly, because you know what can go wrong and you’re ok with that.
In my mind, these are the two choices.
I looked around (briefly) at the cost of late model used skis and the few $k I was “saving” was eaten up by my OCD in needing to know what these have been through. I plan to keep my skis for a very long time. Amortized over 6/7 years, that money became irrelevant.
Keep negotiating. That trailer price is $150 high, IMO. You CAN get the dealership down, but talk about the “Out The Door” price - all in for what you want. Make them include a spare tire for your trailer. I would leave the covers off the list because OEM covers are not only expensive, but also suspect. I have two skis and I keep mine covered with a Covercraft BMW 325 car cover for 1/2 the price and twice the fabric quality. Be sure you get a fire extinguisher, and insist that all the paperwork is done and your time with their F&I guy is 5 min tops. They WILL try to upsell you on 99 things.
Or, you live in a fantastic market; get a late model used and bring cash. Negotiate a deal in the driveway.
Good luck! Whatever you do, come to Hilton Head and enjoy some ICW and ocean jet skiing!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey There!
I am a brand new PWC owner. I was at the Atlanta Boat Show. I purchased the 2020 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO in Blue. In doing my research These shows are the place where manufacturers offer more warranty on new models as well as price incentives to the dealers to negotiate with customers at the show. They do this to for “Authenticated Bragging Rights”. My OTD price was $11,500 tax included. 4year warranty is 1 year bumper to bumper with the following 3 years drive train/guts. If you call one of those dealers you could possibly still get it because they may not have put there complete order in. Anyway 1.8 ltr 4 stk 4 cyl big engine at that price and warranty. Easy decision for me as it is the latest technology with backing. I figure that if in a couple two to three years if I decide to move on then there will be a transferable warranty and I can get close to what I paid for a proven PWC. Good luck. See you on Lake Lanier!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anechets- I would say no. I would look for a good, used one first. I would not look for a galvanized one. I would look for an aluminum Triton trailer or similar. I would kind of “make” them give you the trailer at a great price- like the used trailer price.
FWIW, I got my 2019 VX Cruisers OTD for $12.4k each with the trailer, spare and some minor odds and ends (an extra wash hose, and two PFDs). I did get the 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts

6. Freight - $399
Total is $16,058

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want travel to my area Binghamton NY I can get you touch with my dealer that will sell me a
2020 FX Cruiser SVHO. $15008.00

·
Registered
4 Posts
alright,
so today I finally closed a deal on a 2020 Yamaha Waverunners FX LIMITED SVHO.
I did a lot of thinking to see which model would be best for me and I decided to go with this model. I am planning to keep this for the next few years.
so I went to New York City Boat show and on Yamaha section I started to talk to the dealers and got the below deal on the machine.

original MSRP for the FX SVHO Limited is $17,599
and Karavan SINGLE WATERCRAFT ALUMINUM TRAILER $1,199

I paid a flat $18,000 on it including Freight, Prep fee, DMV fee for watercraft, DMV fee for trailer and tax.
please let me know what you think and let me know if I got a good deal or not. I feel like I got a good deal tho lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts