Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im new to the the forum and just learning the ropes. I am a new owner of a 91 kawasaki 440 jet ski. I have 100 psi in the holes I am told I am to have 150 psi. The jetski runs untill it hits the water, and then it dies after a minute of running time with no power. The carbs are set at 1 and 1/2 turns on both lean and top end adjustments. Im not sure really whats going on, I didnt expect 100 psi to be a problem but Im new to 2 strokes so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
100psi is quite low,
also the mixture screws are incorrectly set per your post. Start here.....
low speed- 5/8 turn out
high speed- 3/4-1 turn out, more than likely you will have to go slightly further out, however this is a good starting point

·
Registered
144 Posts
My manual shows that the compression for the 91 440 should be between 84 and 134 lbs. 100 is towards the lower end of the scale, but it should still be able to pull you out of the water without too much trouble.

Carb settings are just a starting point. I would suggest that you leave the ski strapped to the trailer, back it into the water making sure that the pump is fully submerged and will have a constant supply of water. This will simulate you riding it under load. Now you start to fine tune the low speed for the throttle response. Once you get that dialed in, move to the high speed at WOT. Once you achieve a nice clean rpm/power go back to the low speed and check to make sure that it is still a crisp throttle response. Sometimes you have to go back and forth a couple of times to get the two dialed in.

If you don't have a trailer then you could always tie it so something SOLID with a GOOD STRONG rope.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts