Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should compression be for a wave runner? I am considering buying a Yamaha Wave Runner VXR 650 and would like to be sure the compression is good before purchasing. Any other advice on what to look for when buying a used wave runner. The seller says this PWC is a 89 but I can only find on internet that they were made starting in 91.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the compression depends on what size bore it is and what cc head dome is on it...... if you find a manual it will be in there...

how much is he asking for the ski?

i personally wouldnt even consider something that old 91 or 89... compared to todays skis that thing is a dinosaur...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He only wants $425 for it and I wouldn't use a whole lot. Just a toy, we have a bowrider that we would use most of the time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ADK PWCer said:
He only wants $425 for it and I wouldn't use a whole lot. Just a toy, we have a bowrider that we would use most of the time.

well if its decent shape and you dont care how fast it goes, then thats a good buy..

does it come with a trailer?

i would check for oil in the hull.

compression, even if you dont know what it should be,all cylinders should be close to each other,, if they are thats a good sign.

first take the plugs out and spin the crank by hand to verify its not seized.

look inside the pump area for damage, bottom of hull for gouges,, rear of ski if you can access it to check on the rear exhaust components.....just use your best judgement...

if it talks like a duck,walks like a duck then its probably a duck,,so if it looks like shit and sounds like shit its probably,,, well you get the point...

good luck

·
Registered
209 Posts
well judging by the pics, it looks like the guy stored it in the water most its life,,, you should definitly inspect the pump area for rust...

theres not much i can tell you as i cant do much diagnosing with pictures...

but for 400 bucks, if it runs, and you dont mind an older ski. id say go for it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the picture link did work. I deleted that post because I didn't think I did it right (first time). You are right about the wave runner sitting in the water. The seller said he kept it floating all last year and didn't get a chance to clean it up. I am sure a little elbow grease and it will look fine. He also said he put a new jet pump in it that hasn't been used. Reading on another forum this model of PWC appears to have the reputation of not being real fast (35-40 mph), not great for sharp turns but durable and reliable. I am a 48 year old woman and a school teacher. My husband works all summer and I really don't like trailering and launching a boat by myself. I figure a PWC would allow me to get out on the lake on my own pretty easily. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
209 Posts
why did someone reply "look for oil in the hull", what does that mean?
sometimes if the oil injection lines come off the carbs, or are about to , oil in the hull is the first sign....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts