Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. It's been a while since I've shopped a PWC (last time was '99) and I'm looking for some assistance. I am going to check out a 2005 F-12X this weekend. The unit has 110hrs and is described as being in "excellent condition". This is the 2nd owner, purchased with approximately 90hrs 3 years ago. It is female owned and operated (always adult driven) with detailed maintenance records.

The last time it was used was the end of last summer (Sept - Oct '09). It was winterized, covered and stored in a garage. Two concerns I have that I'm hoping someone can help me with. First, is the lack of use - I know it sounds funny, but I was under the impression that these things like to be run - and they only put 20 or so hours on it in 3 years. Second, once winterized, how long can the engines sit unused without causing long term effects to the motor? Will I be able to start the unit on Sunday if was truely winterized?

I am very new to this, so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Clay B.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Clay,
considering it's a 2005, that number of hours is not low at all. Lots of 05s weren't sold until 07 or 08. I bought my 05 last summer with 3 hours on it, the first owner bought it new in May 09.
If the gas isn't old, and the battery charged, it should start. Sitting over the winter if properly cared for should be no big deal. Unless you live in Florida, this happens to all jetskis. After 3 Seadoos, I love my Honda and expect lots of years of fun out of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Clay,
considering it's a 2005, that number of hours is not low at all. Lots of 05s weren't sold until 07 or 08. I bought my 05 last summer with 3 hours on it, the first owner bought it new in May 09.
If the gas isn't old, and the battery charged, it should start. Sitting over the winter if properly cared for should be no big deal. Unless you live in Florida, this happens to all jetskis. After 3 Seadoos, I love my Honda and expect lots of years of fun out of it.
Thanks.

Well. An update - I went and checked out the ski today. It is in excellent condition, one of the cleanest hulls I have seen. No dock rash on the bumpers, no scratches on hull or deck. The turbo has no rust on it all and the engine compartment was pretty clean. It has 117 hours - the owner wasn't sure how to check the hours, so I helped them out. It didn't have much gas in it at all, so the husband leaned it forward to get it to start - the first two pushes of the start button yielded nothing. He said they just put the battery in it and hadn't tightened down the terminal connections. We started it briefly and let it run for a few seconds.

The intake grate appeared to have some sealant around it or something I couldn't identify. Is that normal? It was noticeable.

So, decision time. It was in such good shape, I didn't have much to ask or say. I took some notes and I know the NADA value is 4260, so I feel they're a little high on the price. I would like to have compression test done on the motor. A test drive is probably out because they're not near water.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well you didn't say what they are asking, so i don't know if they are high or not. If you don't see anything wrong, I would say the NADA price would be a good deal. There's a lot of inventory of new ones out there, I think new ones are in the mid 6 thousands, without a trailer. Check Ebay for examples. I can't answer you about the sealant, I have no clue. Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Were these ski's used in saltwater? One thing I like to check on the ski is the turbo, pull off the tube that goes to the turbo inlet and make sure that it is spinning when the engine is running, I had a customer bring in a F12X and he claimed lack of power, we pulled off the Air Intake tube and the turbo wasn't spinning it was locked up from sitting, don't know why because it was only used in fresh water, I sprayed it down with PB Blaster and let it sit for about a half hour and used my finger so not to harm the blades and got it to come loose and spin freely but if it would of stayed stuck one would have to tear the turbo down and figure out the problem. Just a note for you to check out. I have 125hrs on my ski with mac's boost and have had no problems with it, so I can say for me their great ski's, just do your routine maintaince and all should be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts