Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This season my machine gave me an overheating alarm about 100yrs from the dock.
I took it home, flushed the cooling system, and noticed that suddenly my left vent was not discharging cooling water. I flushed numerous times, took it out again, and had the same experience again.
I theorized that I must have forced sand into the rear cooling water inlet when I struggled to get it off a sand bar a few months back. My only focus at that point in time was using a rope to pull the ski backwards and into enough water to make it float. While I was doing this I was unknowingly forcing LOTS river sand into the rear nozzle. All that mattered then was that I rescued myself and got back to a safer place. I was in the backwoods with no cell phone tower in reach. Yes I do stupid things but not intentionally.
My plan of attack for resolve is to disassemble the machine and check all cooling paths for sand, salt, and anything that should no be there. In addition I will measure the Thermosensor and Thermoswitches to see if they are operating within the design specifications.
Today I validated my suspicions that the machine has ingested sand (and probably quite a bit of sand)
In preparation for hoisting the engine, I was removing the Exhaust Hose from the Water Lock Device and I felt sand. I then saw sand. Lots of it.
I think my suspicions are confirmed that my cooling system is clogged with sand.
To be continued ....
Water Lock Device
IMG_4558 by divepassion, on Flickr
Sand on Water Lock Device
IMG_4557 by divepassion, on Flickr
Just the beginning. This is sand I wiped off the nozzle of the Water Lock Device
IMG_4566 by divepassion, on Flickr
Close up of sand in Exhaust Tube
IMG_4561 by divepassion, on Flickr
Exhaust Tube
IMG_4559 by divepassion, on Flickr

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is okay. It is not a problem for many reasons.

1. The ski is not on a schedule like my automobile for instance.

2. I have other means of getting on the water.

3. I have been through this engine before.

4. Its a small, cute, engine and easy to work on. (compared to an automobile)

5. It's lightweight (easy hoisting)

6. I have all the tools needed

7. I enjoy working on it.

8. I have the time

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The really great thing about having owned this ski is the realization that my next boat is going to be a jet boat. I have an outboard now and have come to realize I prefer jets

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight I will probably remove all the hoses from the machine and look inside the hoses for sand. I will also remove the mounting bolts. I have all hoses and electrical harnesses disconnected. So it is quickly approaching the moment in time where I need to purchase another hoist. I am starting to read about arbitrary ECU failures in older machines. I do not like the sound of that. Will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Check harbor freight. They regularly put the 2 ton cherry picker on sale. Its the better of the two and has the longest reach.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cleanout - Hose, Coolant, FX140

Will definitely check them out. Thank you.

Continued the search for sand last night. Checking the hoses for free coolant passage and no restrictions.

I am not finding much sand yet but I am sure I will find lots as the disassembly continues.

Hopefully will loosen engine mounting bolts tonight.

IMG_4581. by divepassion, on Flickr

to be continued....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts