Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a yamaha waverunner xl 760x.
I was out riding yesterday and didn't realize it but got into shallow water and grounded it in soft mud.I was able to get out to deeper water and I restarted it and was easing along waiting to see if the water was circulating, after several seconds it didn't pump out so I sped up hoping it would clear up. It didn't and the overheating light came on and I quickly shut it down.
During that time I reved the engine and it picked up normal speed and the "rooster tail" was working normally. The engine appeared to operate ok.
I took it home and tried to flush the cooling system with the flush hose connector. No water came out when I started the engine.
I disconnected several hoses that I could reach and the hose going into the engine and the one exiting would allow the water to go out the port on the left side of the hull. After all this I could start the engine and it would run normally.
I tried the hose in the battery area and could not get water flowing out.

I'm sure there is a blockage somewhere, but I don't know where to look.
Maybe someone has the experience to explain what is wrong and what needs
to be done to correct the problem.

If I can't fix it I will take it to the dealer for service.

·
Registered
323 Posts
First of all, the rooster tail is nothing other than a visibiliy spout. Nothing to do with the cooling system. Anyway, I would think the water intake inside the nozzle on the pump unit would be blocked however, when you flush the engine, the flush kit obviously connects after the water intake so im thinking there is a blockage on the tail of the exhaust stinger. After you clean out the pump intake by removing the nozzle and pump unit and taking out that white grate and cleaning inside, you should remove the rear part of the exhaust and pull it apart and clean out inside there. By your comments, I think your blockage is in there. You will see when you pull it apart it has small tubes and holes that can easily get blocked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response to my problem.
The way you describe it it sounds logical.
However, this seems a little more technical
than my limited skills. I'll take it to a dealer
this morning and let them fix it.
again, thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts