Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about a two inch crack on the bottom of one of my waverunners. I have repaired once with a marine-tex type product, but I want to build it up a little more. It is right at the point on the bottom that if you hit debris or floating log it might crack again. Can I use a bondo type product to build it up, it doesn't leak now I just want a little barrier incase I hit something or from rocks/bottom at lower water levels when switching people. Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Is the crack all the way through or nearly so? If it is the repair gets much more complex. You will have to open it up enough to lay fiberglass completely across the crack then build it up or it will never hold.

If it is not completely through, you may get by with just filling the crack. I would not use the car grade bondo, because it will crack when the hull flexes. I think they make a marine grade bondo that has fibers in it that would work better for boat/PWC repair, but be sure it is an epoxy system and not polyester. A better option would be something like West Marines epoxy fiberglass system. I just finished repairing several deep gouges on my ski with the West Marine system and it worked real nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crack

06 VX 110. Thanks, I cannot get to the top of the crack because it is right where it is built up inside the hull just under the stator housing. It was a pretty slow leak about a week and it would fill up a few inches. Think I am going to go with a fiberglass patch 4x4 with an epoxy resin or marine-grade Bondo Thanks again I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had about a one inch hole in the bottom of one of my skis last year, i bought the fiberglass patch kit and an epoxy kit (the ones with the two different things in the one syring) i filled the hole with the epoxy and let it sit for a day. turned rock solid and hasnt leaked a drop since. ended up not even using the fiberglass kit. worked great for me and its only like 4 bucks at a hardware store

1 - 4 of 4 Posts