Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up two 86 JS550s and both have a bad bearing where the piston rod connects to the crankshaft. Is it possible to take the crank apart to put new bearings in or am I pretty much stuck to buying a whole new assembly?

Also, what would cause both motors to have the same bearing go out (the rear bearing, farthest from the flywheel)? Has anyone else had that problem meaning just poor design or did the previous owner do something to cause such a problem that I need to look for?

Also, is there anywhere that I can buy gasket material to make gaskets for these motors or am I stuck again to just buying gasket kits from the innerweb?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if the crank would be the same for the js550 and the js550sx's? Might have found one but I don't know if it's from the newer motor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up two 86 JS550s and both have a bad bearing where the piston rod connects to the crankshaft. Is it possible to take the crank apart to put new bearings in or am I pretty much stuck to buying a whole new assembly?

Also, what would cause both motors to have the same bearing go out (the rear bearing, farthest from the flywheel)? Has anyone else had that problem meaning just poor design or did the previous owner do something to cause such a problem that I need to look for?

Also, is there anywhere that I can buy gasket material to make gaskets for these motors or am I stuck again to just buying gasket kits from the innerweb?
Unfortunatly, your stuck buying a new crank, or having yours rebuilt. Nobody offers an aftermarket unit for your model.

You can buy rod kits, they come with new bearings and all..... Crankworks in AZ has done some cranks for us in the past, and we have been very happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts