Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2010 FX Cruiser SHO and trailer for $10,500. The ski has 35 hours on it and there are no blemishes. The ski has never been run in saltwater and has been garage kept. There is no extended warranty but the factory warranty doesn't end until September. I did not get a cover or life vests with the ski.

We think we got a good deal. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on a good cover and any other accessories that I will need?

·
Registered
811 Posts
We just bought a 2010 FX Cruiser SHO and trailer for $10,500. The ski has 35 hours on it and there are no blemishes. The ski has never been run in saltwater and has been garage kept. There is no extended warranty but the factory warranty doesn't end until September. I did not get a cover or life vests with the ski.

We think we got a good deal. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on a good cover and any other accessories that I will need?
I hope you sea trialed it. You should never buy anything motorized without test driving first. There is a variety of reasons, which I will get to.

What sometimes seems to be a good deal can be trouble if due diligence isn't used. Agreed on paper your deal is good. However in the 35 hours this thing was run. Was there any warranty issues? Did the fluids get checked and filled properly,i.e. oil level. Was anything ever hit? Did it ever sink? and so on.

Ok during the test drive you can verify everything is functioning, you like the way the ski drives and feels,that there is no leaks from the engine or craft and how it loads on the trailer. Running it on a trailer is not good enough since there is no load on the ski. I guess in a nut shell a ski with a 100 hours on it could be in better shape than one with 35 hours on it if it was abused and not maintained well.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal price wise. Like Outlaw said, how the ski has been maintained has more impact than the hours. Fortunately, Yamaha makes pretty bulletproof skis.

If you are going to trailer the ski, I'd recommend getting an OEM cover. It fits tightly, and is designed for trailering. If you are just looking for weather protection, there are several pretty good aftermarket covers that will be cheaper than the OEM.

As far as accessories here is my list of stuff to consider: dock lines and fenders, tow line (not just for tubes and stuff....you will be surprised how many boaters need a tow), anchor (I like one like this in a lake): Jet Logic PWC Screw Anchor System - Dick's Sporting Goods, doesn't work well in sand. For the ocean, I'd recommend a small danforth type anchor or in places where there is a current. Your ski has a painted Nanoxcel hull which will scratch easily leaving white scratches in the black finish. I don't recommend beaching the ski, unless you don't care how the bottom will end up looking, so it is good to have an anchor so you can keep it a few feet off shore. A collapsible paddle may be something to consider if you ride where there are few other boaters. Spare spark plugs (Yamaha 4 strokes tend to foul plugs, but I have not heard of this as an issue on the SHO model). You already have a spark plug tool and tool to remove the ignition coils in the tool kit that comes with the ski. Small flashlight, Riding goggles/sunglasses.........be sure to get ones that float.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just paid 10K for a 2009 FX HO, new from the dealer.
And another 1.8K for a double Triton trailer.

Sounds like you got a good deal to me. I had a chance to get a new 2009 SHO for about 10K also, but wanted the HO, hoping it saves in gas cause I am getting worried about gas prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all the replies.

Outlaw - What we have done so far is send the guy $500 to hold the ski. We are going to inspect the unit this weekend and take it for a test ride. He has sent me the receipt for the 25 hour service that he had performed at the Yamaha dealer. Based on what I have been told the ski hasn't ever been tied up to a dock and only anchored off the shore so no blemishes on the hull. Since the 25 hour service has been done and everything was ok I believe it is reasonable to conclude that the fluids have been maintained properly, but I will check the fluid levels when I inspect it. Great advice thanks!!!

Ernest - I will check into those items you suggested. I actually live on the cost and I will be anchoring the ski in an area that has a sandy bottom and that screw anchor system would work really well. The unit I bought is actually silver so hopefully that will hide and future dings that we get. We are going to trailer the ski some but we wont be transporting it very far.

jsdepry - We were actually more interested in the HO unit because we just didn't think we needed the extra power. We looked all around Houston and we couldn't fine any 2010 models regardless of model and we wanted to keep our price point around 10k. I just happened across this unit and it happened to be the SHO which is fine.

Now here is my next question, where to store the ski. I live on the coast and I have a boat house for my boat and I was hoping to use the cover of the boat house to also help protect my ski, the problem is how to go about doing that. Since I live on the coast anything that I decide to do will have to deal with the salt air which eats up everything. One thought is to buy a swinger lift but that dude will end up costing me 3k by the time I pay shipping and installation. The other thought I had was to get one of the Carolina Floats Jet Ski Docks, Sea Doo Floats, PWC Dock Lifts and that would probably only cost me about $1500. The draw back to the float is that the unit wouldn't be under the boat house cover and I would be relying on a good jet ski cover.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Lucky man, the FX Sho is a powerhouse. If the guy anchored it offshore instead of running it up on the sand like many people do it shows he has sense so the ski more than likely was well maintained. You should be ok.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies.

Outlaw - What we have done so far is send the guy $500 to hold the ski. We are going to inspect the unit this weekend and take it for a test ride. He has sent me the receipt for the 25 hour service that he had performed at the Yamaha dealer. Based on what I have been told the ski hasn't ever been tied up to a dock and only anchored off the shore so no blemishes on the hull. Since the 25 hour service has been done and everything was ok I believe it is reasonable to conclude that the fluids have been maintained properly, but I will check the fluid levels when I inspect it. Great advice thanks!!!

Ernest - I will check into those items you suggested. I actually live on the cost and I will be anchoring the ski in an area that has a sandy bottom and that screw anchor system would work really well. The unit I bought is actually silver so hopefully that will hide and future dings that we get. We are going to trailer the ski some but we wont be transporting it very far.

jsdepry - We were actually more interested in the HO unit because we just didn't think we needed the extra power. We looked all around Houston and we couldn't fine any 2010 models regardless of model and we wanted to keep our price point around 10k. I just happened across this unit and it happened to be the SHO which is fine.

Now here is my next question, where to store the ski. I live on the coast and I have a boat house for my boat and I was hoping to use the cover of the boat house to also help protect my ski, the problem is how to go about doing that. Since I live on the coast anything that I decide to do will have to deal with the salt air which eats up everything. One thought is to buy a swinger lift but that dude will end up costing me 3k by the time I pay shipping and installation. The other thought I had was to get one of the Carolina Floats Jet Ski Docks, Sea Doo Floats, PWC Dock Lifts and that would probably only cost me about $1500. The draw back to the float is that the unit wouldn't be under the boat house cover and I would be relying on a good jet ski cover.

Thoughts?
I have seen many people use davits especially around bulkheads. Not knowing your boathouse it is hard to visualize. However davits are a great way to keep your craft out of the water and swing it into position and lower it in. Real nice in saltwater environmets. just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm new and I going to buy yamaha gp1300r 2007 w/100h. I don' know is this good deal. Jetski is very good condition used only on fresh water. 4500$w/ trailer.please help. I can go to buy seadoo gtx 155 2007 w 35h 6500 which is better choice?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hi. I'm new and I going to buy yamaha gp1300r 2007 w/100h. I don' know is this good deal. Jetski is very good condition used only on fresh water. 4500$w/ trailer.please help. I can go to buy seadoo gtx 155 2007 w 35h 6500 which is better choice?
I'd go with the GP1300r in this case. Better deal plus a much funner ski. The GPR has as much horepower as the GTX 155 and is a smaller 2 seater. Plus the 2007s had the best black paint scheme.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
my brand new sho 2010 was had for $11, i also bought a FZS 2010 for same. new trailer [best load rite] cost me another $1500. taking my boat safety class saturday with the wife and sons, can't wait to start riding. see you at wallenpaupack!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
PM me a few days before that weekend, lax will be over and if we don't go to the championships, we'll be riding somewhere.

look forward to getting together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
but wanted the HO, hoping it saves in gas cause I am getting worried about gas prices.
If you're concerned about gas then RUN. Turn around and RUN out of the dealership and never look back. I guarantee you there is nothing inside that jetski dealership that's "good on gas." Same thing goes for any other boat. If you cannot afford to blow money on gas, then a jetski/boat is the very last thing you need.

-Charles

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trying to get a ski that gets better mileage per gallon is a very real issue, just cause I have money to buy a jet ski does not mean I care to throw my money away, my new 2009 HO gets way better mileage than my old 2002 ski did, I can be almost empty on my 2002 and the new 2009 is only about half way empty, now thats real money at around 70$ to fill up a tank on my HO. Then there is also the fact that I would rather spend time driving the ski rather than waiting to fill up on the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, man. Make sure you're making accurate comparisons. Does your 2002 and your 2009 have exactly the same size gas tank?

I'm not saying you're "throwing money away." I'm saying that you're choosing to spend it on something that's purely for fun and pleasure. I like jetskis too but I accept the fact that they really are not practical at all. They're just fun to ride. If you are really concerned about gas prices then this is not something you want to get into. Like one of my neighbors says "It'll burn every gallon of gas you put into it...."

-Charles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts