Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first jet ski. The one I am looking at is a '91 Kawasaki 550. My research shows that it could have either a Reed Engine or a PP Engine, and that the Reeds are much better. The seller claims that it is a Reed, but I would like to not just go on his word alone. Is there an easy way to visually distinguish which engine it is? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you know what the cylinder and case is, the intake on a reed motor goes into the case threw the reeds, and a piston port the intake goes right on the cylinder. If this doesnt help you, im sure you can find some numbers on the motor to make sure.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am looking to buy my first jet ski. The one I am looking at is a '91 Kawasaki 550. My research shows that it could have either a Reed Engine or a PP Engine, and that the Reeds are much better. The seller claims that it is a Reed, but I would like to not just go on his word alone. Is there an easy way to visually distinguish which engine it is? Thanks in advance.
If it is a reed engine it should have reed cages between the carbs and jugs. Yes reeds are better they atomize the fuel better and you can get Boysen reeds or V-Force reeds and increase performance. If they break just replace the reeds.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll make a real easy for you. The Reed motors are silver and were OEM in ALL 1991s. The PP (piston ports) are black. The PP manifold is a right anglewhereas the reed is at a 45 degree angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts