Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX. It runs great once it gets going. My problem is that the gas, oil, speed, etc. info. on the dash doesnt' show up. It usually shows when I start it up and then it goes off and stays off. When this first started, the info. would flash off and on...off and on....then it got to where it stays off. I hate it cuz I can't tell how much gas i have when I'm out in the water. We bought it used...replaced the battery cuz it sucked...thought it might be the battery so rechecked it and made sure all connections there were good and tight. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a plug problem. Pull the front bin and start tracing connectors, you probably have either a loose connector or a bad plug. Probably is that simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean spark plugs? We checked those and they all look fine. We put in a new battery and I read in the manual that the battery must be maintenance-free or the display might now work right so we went back to the store and got a m-f battery. Display worked great when it started and worked fine as I idled out then when I throttled down it all disappeared and never flashed on again at all. Had nothing the rest of the time I was out on it. We took off the front bin and the connectors seemed to be connected fine. Could it be a loose wire up under the display itself? Will we have to remove the handles and nuts and bolts to all that section to get under there to that? That would be a pain in the butt....geez....I sure dont wanna take that thing out of the water and to a service dept. where they'll keep it a week or two (if I'm lucky). Not to mention what they'll charge to fix it. Any ideas for this not so smart female when it comes to jetskis???

Thanks, Linda

·
Registered
10 Posts
topsy57 said:
You mean spark plugs? We checked those and they all look fine. We put in a new battery and I read in the manual that the battery must be maintenance-free or the display might now work right so we went back to the store and got a m-f battery. Display worked great when it started and worked fine as I idled out then when I throttled down it all disappeared and never flashed on again at all. Had nothing the rest of the time I was out on it. We took off the front bin and the connectors seemed to be connected fine. Could it be a loose wire up under the display itself? Will we have to remove the handles and nuts and bolts to all that section to get under there to that? That would be a pain in the butt....geez....I sure dont wanna take that thing out of the water and to a service dept. where they'll keep it a week or two (if I'm lucky). Not to mention what they'll charge to fix it. Any ideas for this not so smart female when it comes to jetskis???

Thanks, Linda
Not the spark plugs, the connectors for the display. I would trace all of them. Another thing I would check is to see if your ski is charging. Basically with the engine off you will see 12 volts at the battery. With the ski running you will see an increase, I get about 13 volts. If you are not charging, there is a good chance that you dont have enough juice to push the display. I am speculating, but just offering ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts