Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my first day of owning my new jet skis I of course forgot to put the drain plugs in one of them.

The ski would not start and i was completely devasted. Luckily I was still close to the boat launch and with 8 other people. My friend new exactly what it was. We walked the ski back to the launch and let it drain. She failed to start immediately after and that was due to me flooding the engine after repeated starts and throttle pulls. After we flushed fuel through and ran it for 20 minutes no other problems the rest of the day thank god!

Several questions from the lessons learned:

1.) Would the ski actually start or is there a kill switch inside the ski that prevents if from running if there is too much water?

2.) Could I have ruined my engine?

3.) Can the jet ski actually sink or are they designed to take on water like that?

4.) Had the ski started and i made it out to the lake, what is the best thing to do if you discover this in time?

Many questions, but I am of course a newb and would like to learn as much as I can to best take care of my new toys!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What model ski? Some skis have bilge pumps that will remove excess water, but an open drain plug may overwhelm the pumps ability to remove the excess water, and on some skis the bilge pump will only operate if the engine is running.

1. Whether the ski will start or not depends on the level of the water inside the ski. Once water is over the battery it will usually not start.

2. Yes......water inside the engine can cause it to hydro-lock, which can bend valves, etc. Not to mention the corrosion issues if you were in salt water. The fact that you got it running, pretty much means that you have avoided this issue. The best thing you can do now is ride it to remove any excess moisture. If it was in salt water, I'd run some Salt-Away through it when you flush it.

3. Yes, but they will take on a fair amount of water before they sink.

4. If you have a bilge pump (which on Yamaha skis will only operate when the engine is running), just put the drain plug in and let the pump remove the water, and keep on riding. With no bilge pump, you have to get it out of the water, drain it, etc..

Drain plugs left out probably sinks more boats than anything else. Depending on the model of ski you have, it is rare to need to remove a drain plug, because even in fairly rough conditions, skis take on very little water if the hood seals are intact. I've never removed my drain plugs. I use a shop vac to remove the small amount of water in the ski after a ride..........it has never been close to the level of the drain plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!

Thanks Ernest T. You are a very knowledgeable resource, it is much appreciated!

The skis by the way are a 2001 Yamaha GP800R and a 2002 Yamaha FX 140.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The FX has a bilge pump that runs continuously when the engine is running. I'm not sure about the GP800.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Which ski flooded? The FX or GP800? If the GP you need to right away remove both spark plugs and crank the motor over. You will say a spray of water shooting out from the spark plug holes. Then put the plugs back in and ride the ski at high RPMS for at least an hour to burn off any remaining moisture. The motor is savable but the key is to act quickly the worst thing you can do is let it sit with water in it.

This is the procedure with 2 strokes I'd think with 4 strokes it's similar or the same but not 100% sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts