Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to PWC's and have a 1999 Yamaha XL1200 LTD. I understand that after each sesion on the lake I need to flush it with a hose and the attachment, then run the engine with the water off for about 10sec. to dry out the engine.
Am I on the right track so far?
That is what I have been doing and stored the PWC's in my garage. This last time I decided to start the waverunners (being told that once the engine is cooled it wont hurt it if runned for about 10sec w/out water), and a bunch of water came out from the intake grill and the jet nozzle area.
Is this normal or am I not running the PWC long enough after shutting the water off when flushing it?
If this is normal, is it ok to try to take as much water out through several start upf?
Knowledge is power, share your knowledge!

·
Registered
24 Posts
make sure you start your engine first ,then turn the water on.then shut water off and rev the engine a couple times to get the extra water out.REMEMBER, engine on first then water on,then water off and then engine off!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of hours after flushing the waverunner, I started it again and water continued on comming out. Shouldn't reving the engine a couple of times with the water off dry the engine out? Why is there still water comming up?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple of hours after flushing the waverunner, I started it again and water continued on comming out. Shouldn't reving the engine a couple of times with the water off dry the engine out? Why is there still water comming up?
yes, give the motor a couple of revs to get out any extra water, but don't run the motor for more than 15 to 20 seconds with out the water hooked up any longer you could over heat the motor. When I flush my motor out I usually run my motor for about 5 min. to get out the salty water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, let me rephrase my question.
After flushing, turning the water off, and run the motor for 10 sec. should dry out the engine. Right?

After doing that and waiting for a couple of hours, I turned the waverunner on and water continued pouring out.

Why is water still comming out? Shouldn't the engine been dried out by running the waverunner for 10sec. with the water off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts