Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been joyfully riding my 2002/03? FX140 for over three years, blissfully, without major problems until now.

In the beginning, I was having problem getting the waverunner to start after a few weeks without use. Then I had to charge the battery every time I went out.
So I bought a new battery.

Waverunner now starts fine. Run it a little, and I can turn it off and back on. Run for over 10 minutes and then it will not restart. :confused:
Let it sit for twenty minutes and it will restart.
Seems to be draining the battery when I run it long instead of charging it.

It will click when I hit the start button, but quickly looses any power to turn over the engine with further attempts. Sometime I don't even get a click!

Please help. I need my waverunner fix every few days or I'm not a happy camper!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check the battery is charging with the engine running. If not the plug going to the reg/rectifier is probably corroded. The plug faces upside down which means water sits in there corroding the terminal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
* more help please *

Okay, I've taken out the rectifier & regulator assy (p/n SH678B-13 marking). The plug sits horizontal on my FX140, not upside down.

Am I looking at the right parts?

The rectifier & regulator assy looks like a big heat sink but it has some corrosion on it's fins; however, the plug looks good with no corrosion.

Should the rectifier & regulator assy be replaced or just cleaned up?

Should I be checking other plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi there im having a similar problem with my 2003 fx140 cruiser, 3 weeks ago the voltage dropped rite down and the battery went flat whilst i was using it, i replaced the battery and charged it on an optimizer (clever battery charger for bikes so's not to over charge the battery) took it out the next weekend and it worked fine the first day but the voltage is showing 11.6 ish which im told is lower than should be, the next day the voltage kept dropping, then i cleaned and greased the rectifier plug charged the battery and tried again, but its just the same, i was wondering if i can use a rectifier off a bike? some look the same but instead of p/n SH678B-13 marking they end with 11 or 12 not 13, would these work??? anyone with an answer please can u help, thanks jase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
** Problem corrected and working great now **

I ordered a new regulator/rectifier off of ebay and it's worked like a charm! The old one was a bit corroded on the outside. Plug looked good.
Getting a good 'charge' now as I ride instead of losing voltage.

I'm a happy jet skier! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump, i was wondering if i can use a rectifier off a bike? some look the same but instead of p/n SH678B-13 marking they end with 11 or 12 not 13, would these work??? anyone with an answer please can u help, thanks jase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi to all, right this is the latest with my rectifier problems, I took the ski out yesterday, it was only out on the water for around 15 minutes when it just stopped, nothing showing on the dash display, nothing happening with the engine, just totally dead. on retrieving the ski and removing the seats, i found lots of smoke/burning smells, the 20 amp yellow fuse had blown and after having a look around ive found that the rectifier has melted and broken away where it goes into the wiring plug, the plug is also melted slightly so will need a replacement plug wiring in, im getting worried now cos i cant flush the ski and it has salt water in, also i need to get a rectifier and new plug asap. im in the uk, does ayone know where i can get one from as ive searched the web and cant find any with the same code as mine, also is there a way to start it without a rectifier to flush it? PLEASE PLEASE help if you can, thanks jase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey jase... I'm having the same exact problem with my 04 fx140. The guy I bought it from had just replaced the rectifier regulator. I took it out one time and fried mine within an hour or so. I have a new one ordered but I'd like to know what's causing this before I fry another one. Btw eBay has plenty of them listed for sale. Anyway I just wondered if u have found the cause of it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts