Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a 1995 Yamaha Waverunner III. He just recently purchased it, and took it out twice this year. A few days ago, we took out our jet skis and his wouldn't start.

The engine will turn over, however there is no spark. I've done several things to troubleshoot this problem:

-Replaced both spark plugs with new ones.
-Took the coil off of the pwc and hooked it up to an old snowmobile; when we did this, the coil produced spark so it appears that the coil and spark plug wires are ok.
-Put the old snowmobile coil onto the PWC to try and get spark: there was none. This virtually eliminates the coil as the cause of the problem.
-Put a multi-meter in series with the low voltage side of the coil, and when the pwc was turning over, there was no current flowing through the coil.
-Checked the voltage on the low voltage side of the coil, there was 4.83 VAC, which appears to be right but I'm not sure if this is what it's supposed to look like.
-Resistance across the coil was pretty low (on the low voltage side), 0.2 ohms.

At this point I'm kind of stumped, I'm thinking it’s a wiring connection, which I have checked and they seem to be good, the CDI, or the stator. Is there any way to test these components to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
No Spark 650 waverunner III

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Were you able to fix it and give me some advice on how I should try and tackle this?

-Checked the switch. Looks dry and fine
-No spark from the coil to the spark plugs
-I have power to the orange wire connecting to the coil but it's not going through to the plugs?
-Could it be the coil? I have not taken in the coil to be tested.

Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok it could be your cdi has gone bad if its not throwing a spark um im not sure how to test it so look around online or google it. If the ski is turning over and your battery is not dead than it will run even with a crap stator im pretty sure just not for long so im pretty sure its your cdi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts