Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While towing a wakeboard in shallow water the engine alarm went off - power was limited and the iddle was spinning at around 4K RPM.

Took the ski to a mechanic - error code 63 - he exchanged the TPS sensor, but the problem persists.

It iddles at various speeds on its own and then the engine warning will come on.

I then took it to the local Yamaha dealership - they are telling me that I need to exchange the entire Throttle Body Assembly for a final price of around $3K.

There is nothing visually wrong with the assembly.

Can anyone help pinpoint some other options or possible causes / solutions other than spending the $3K?

Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Error code 63 indicates an intake air system malfunction. Weird that they would replace the throttle positions sensor (throttle position sensor malfunction is error code 18).

Error code 63 sometimes can occur if there is a leak in the exhaust system and exhaust fumes are being pulled into the air intake. Check all the exhaust fittings for a loose connection or hole someplace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ernest,

thank you for the suggestion - I checked all the fittings and hoses - I can't detect a leak anywhere and the symptoms persist, even with the air filter removed and a open hull.

Is there a sensor responsible for code 63?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There are actually 2 sensors: Air Temperature, and Air Pressure. They both sit close to gether on the throttle body, and I think at least one attaches to the fuel rail:

I don't know much about this type of problem because it is pretty rare. It might be worth at least trying to replace the sensors before you drop 3K on a new throttle body. Air Temp. Sensor error code is #23 and Air Pressure Sensor Error code is #29. Both sensors can be removed and tested, but you will probably have to have a dealer do it. Part of the test is done using the diagnostic software program, and the pressure sensor requires a Yamaha pressure testing gauge.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I forgot to mention that the very first step that I would try is to disconnect the sensor plugs, check for corrosion, clean them up, spray on some anti-corrosive (maybe like Corrosion X), and plug and unplug them a few times to polish the contacts. A bad sensor or connection could definitely cause idle problems since they control the air/fuel mixture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ernest,

I replaced the intake air pressure sensor but couldn't find the temp sensor-maybe my ski is a 2006 model?

The connectors are all good and clean- sadly swapping out the sensor, did nothing.

Interesting though-when I disconnect the harness for the air press. sensor- the engine iddles perfectly fine just below 1K RPM... but of course the warning light goes on and error 23 is reported from having it disconnected...

any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Right your ski would not have the Air Temp. Sensor. I think they are only on the newer skis with tighter emmision controls.

I really don't know what to advise next. It is interesting that disconnecting the sensor will alow it to idle properly. Seems like the sensor doesn't think it is getting enough fuel? Maybe try dissassembly of the throttle body assembly, fuel injectors, and fuel rail to look for debris or obstruction? You might want to check the fuel pump to be sure you are getting a good flow (seems like it sould be putting out around 46-47 psi). Could it be a problem with the ECU? I'm guessing at this point.........hope you get it fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if I can get a reply here after 6 years but @skywave11 I am having the same problem with my 05 fxho. Did you resolve your issue and if so, how?
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts