Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 1998 Tigershark 770 and the previous owner says that it regularly splits the exhaust Tube just behind the manifold. A friend says that there may be something blocking the water intake into the manifold and the tube is getting too hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
what model 770?
an exhaust hose will split for a few different reasons
1. age (most common)
2. defective hose from factory (havent seen one yet)
3. blocked exhaust causing extreme pressure
4. lack of cooling water (usually will melt through not split)

does the engine seem to run hot? manifold hot? water box hot?

have you run it on the trailer with a flush kit to see how much water comes out the exhaust?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The model is a TS770L. The manifold gets really hot and the vent on the transom expels water without restriction. I am wondering if there is supposed to be an insert in the vent to force some more water into the exhaust manifold. I am going to hook it up to a water hose this week to see if I can get something to break loose in the hose. I really think it is plugged somewhere.

Thanks,

·
Registered
38 Posts
do you have water coming out of the fitting on the left side of the hull while the engine is running?
the exhaust manifold should only get warm you should always be able to touch it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weekend Test

I took it out again this weekend after flushing the cooling system as instructed by the manual. Blew out another exhaust tube. The water outlet on the left hand side of the transom does not have the fitting for the short water hose adapter so I had to just hold the hose up against it tightly to force the water through to flush the system. Everything seemed to flush fine. The hole in the transom is 1/2" exactly. I put a PVC plug in it to see what size it was. I am thinking that so much water is being expelled out the hole that none is getting back through the exhaust manifold. What size of pee stream should be coming out through the hole? I need to order the screw in quick fitting and water hose adapter. Any suggestions? Thanks for the reply. So far this hasn't been a real good experience!

·
Registered
38 Posts
the water outlet on the transom (rear)? that is the bilge pump outlet, how much water comes out? should be none unless water is leaking in

the water outlet from the engine is on the left side of the hull along with a fuel tank vent

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad Terminology

My fault, the water is being expelled out through the water vent on the left hand side of the hull. However, it comes out without restriction. The quick couple adaptor is not there. That is why I think part of the problem is that not enough water is going through the manifold. About every 8 hours of runtime, I go through an exhaust hose and when I check it the manifold is very hot. I usually have to wait at least a half hour before reaching into the engine compartment to change the tube.
Any other ideas?? All leads are appreciated and will be followed up on.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
the fitting on the left side of the hull should be a female thread, and water Should come out without restriction
**what do you mean by the quick couple adapter is not there?

water comes from the cylinder, through the exhaust Y into the manifold and out the big hose then out the side of the hull

your problem is with the small hose from the head to the exhaust elbow. that water is supposed to exit from the exhaust outlet.
the fitting on the exhaust elbow is a water restrictor and must be plugged with rust/debris. take it apart and clean it

let me know what you find

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Culprit Found

I believe I found the culprit thanks to jeepfamily. The small hose from the front of the head to the exhaust elbow has a filter in the line. When I removed the hose and filter I found it to be full of sand. What scares me about that is that the sand came through the head. I am taking it out again this weekend, I will give an update. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's like a new machine

Thanks a bunch to Jeepfamily for the great advice. I had forgotten to send the good news. We ran our machine for three days solid late last summer pulling everything from tubes to double skiers (Kids) and it ran like a top. Can't wait to get it out this spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the fitting on the left side of the hull should be a female thread, and water Should come out without restriction
**what do you mean by the quick couple adapter is not there?

water comes from the cylinder, through the exhaust Y into the manifold and out the big hose then out the side of the hull

your problem is with the small hose from the head to the exhaust elbow. that water is supposed to exit from the exhaust outlet.
the fitting on the exhaust elbow is a water restrictor and must be plugged with rust/debris. take it apart and clean it

let me know what you find
hi im new to pwc im from new zealand and have a 1997 tigershark 770 can u tell me if the hole on the right should be blocked or open thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TS770L Exhaust Manifold

I am in need of a used exhaust manifold for a 1998 TS770L. Mine is cracked. Anyone who may have a good source other than ebay or craigslist ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts