Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase first jet ski's for my adult family. Have ridden rentals twice on vacation and really enjoyed both times. Looking at used, please advise as to pros and cons of each and anything else model/type you feel I should look at or consider. What would approx. used price be? Thank you.

(1) Yamaha waverunners 2008 FX HO and 2007 FX HO (22 hrs each) and trailer.

(2) Honda aquatrax (2) 2004 R-12X (40 hrs each) and trailer.

(3) Honda aquatrax (2) 2007 turbo 2 seat and non turbo 3 seat (40 hrs each) and trailer.

Thank you, appreciate your advice and help.
LK

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I highly recommend Door #1 (Yamaha FX HOs): Those are really nice family skis. Stable, dry ride, fast enough (60 mph), good towing platform, and will easily handle 3 riders, run on 87 octane fuel, low maintenance and extremely reliable with no known issues other than a cooling hose recall, which most likely has already been taken care of on both skis......if not its totally free at any dealership. The pre-2009 Yamaha FX HO is the best value and most economical family ski choice on the market IMO.

Honda skis are smaller than the Yamaha FX HOs. They are comparable to the smaller Yamaha VX model ski as far as the ride = a more bouncy, wetter, more sporty ride. The "R" model is a 2 rider ski (not a good family choice IMO). The turbo models have many failures with corrosion of the waste gate system.........especially if used in salt water. Do a search and you will see. You also need 91 octane fuel. Honda has not produced a ski since 2009, and are essentially out of the ski business. Many Honda PWC dealerships have closed, and finding a Honda certified PWC mechanic can be a challenge if your ski ever needs a major repair...........that is one reason that you can pick them up for such low prices. The Honda skis do not hold resell value anywhere near as well as Yamaha skis.........look at NADA values and see for yourself.

Disclaimer: I'm a Yamaha guy, so I'm biased, but I have ridden both skis. No comparison IMO............go with the Yamahas!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ernest T

First off one of the funniest episodes old man Kelseys woods, crick and old man Kelseys ocean, loved that show. Appreciate the flash back.

Thank you for the advice on the Honda and Yamaha models. I have respect for both companys and know their products in general to be good to very good. Had no idea that Honda had shut down their PWC lines. I would prefer not to start out struggling trying to find a proper repair for other than what I may be able to do.

Are there any Yamaha models or years I should avoid or in that vein look for or seek out if the 08 deal falls through? Sounds like you strongly approve of the FX HO models.

Thank you again and I really appreciate your advice.

Lumber King

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any Yamaha 4 stroke ski. I'd stay away from the older 2 strokes of any brand, unless you enjoy working on motors and carburetors, etc..

IMO the FX HO model ski (any year) is the best buy on the market for a family ski. The pre-2009 models give you good speed with excellent fuel efficiency, and are the best value for the money (generally around $7000-$8000 range would be a good price per ski for 07-08 models with low hours like you mentioned). The 2009 and later models have a larger engine, but still give you good fuel economy with about 3 more mph in speed (63 mph) over the older models, but you will pay more for one.

The Yamaha VX is another good choice for a family ski. It is the most fuel efficient ski on the market (of any brand). Its a little more of a sporty and wetter ride than the FX, but still a nice choice. It is a little less stable for multiple riders and for towing than the FX models. The VX is the model all the rental places use, because it is so reliable. Top speed is around 53-54 mph.

I would not recommend the Yamaha FX SHO or FZR/FZS models for a family ride. These skis have the same 1800cc engine as on the newer FX HO models, but it is supercharged. They are fast (near 67-68 mph), but get very poor fuel economy. If you goal is speed then these models offer the best route for aftermarket modifications.

Just this year Yamaha has introduced a new model called the VXR/VXS. It is basically the VX hull with the newer 1800cc engine (normally aspirated). It is very fast and sporty (68+ mph), and gets good fuel economy. It might be a consideration, but I'd put it on the bottom of my list as a family ski, unless you are looking for a very aggressive ride.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ditto on what Ernest said, stay away from Hondas for the obvious and not so obvious reasons. From the skis on your list the Yamahas are your safest choice. Even though I am a Seadoo guy Yamaha would be my alternate brand. Good luck and enjoy jet skiing.:welcome:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Again, ditto on Ernests post - We just purchased the 2011 VX Deluxe and VXS - Both are a blast.

One thing I will say, if you have anyone young riding, the VXS really has a TON of power, and I wouldn't trust a younger rider on it. My husband feels like the deluxe is a smoother ride than his 1800, (but of course I like the speed of his!!). Either way, so far, can't say that you would be unhappy with anything Yamaha makes.

Ref fuel management - If we're cruising, you can expect a full day on only a tank of gas (either ski). Hot Dogging them changes the fuel uses considerably though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone

I appreciate all the information. It makes my research much easier, appreciate the leg up. In the end my family appreciates it, also looking forward to some fun on the water.

Thanks again to everyone.

Lumber King

1 - 7 of 7 Posts