Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took out my 2002 F-12X yesterday and my top speed was only 27mph. I just bought this 2 weeks ago. I haven't wrenched on a pwc for 15 years so bear with me.

I plan on doing the following:
change the oil
remove the gas since I have no clue how old it is
replace the plugs
lube the turbo and wastegate acutator
lube the throttle cable at all places it needs it

I've read that some folks had problems with the wastegate soleoid value. Is it enough to watch the turbo spinup to see if that is actually working or do I need to bust out another testing methodology? Any help is appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks like your making a good start and checking and changing things, let us know how you turn out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I swapped out the oil, oil filter, gas and put in new plugs. I took it out on the water tonight and it still had the same issues. WOT and I can get 3600 rpms MAX and nothing faster than 28mph. When I got back home I flushed it out and I am able to rev the engine (while on the hose) easily around 5500 rpms and no doubt more is possible. I attached a photo to show my top end speed. I also included a youtube link with me at WOT. Man it's sad!

YouTube - 2002 honda aquatrax F-12X Max RPMS

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
07-10-2009, 10:40 PM #4 (permalink)
jwarner12

Thanks guys. I think I have located the problem, the waste gate solenoid has apparantly gone bad and stays closed therefore the air coming into the turbo is going to the waste gate actuator and causing it to open. As soon as the turbo spins the waste gate opens and all pressure is lost. Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonight I'm going to test the WGS and with that nifty link I will also check the turbo. Thanks!

I ordered a service manual but I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect (besides looking at something visually) that there is a spec on the amount of impeller-to-pump clearance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Everyone.

I removed the dummy connector from the service connector switch and used a jumper between the 2 terminals. I attached the safety lanyard clip to the base of the engine
stop switch. I pushed the SET and MODE switches at the same time. I think I have codes 12, 15, 42 and 45. Now I was on the water
today and I'm not 100% how many times I caused the warning light to go off (maybe 4?). So how do I read the codes? Would
12 be the most recent one? Check out my youtube video pls:

YouTube - 2002 Honda ARX1200T3 Codes

When the warning light occurred on the water and pretty much lost all power. If I stop/restarted I could run WOT until the next warning.
I have the explanations for the codes in my manual but THERE SURE ARE ALOT OF POSSIBITIES. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We wrenched on it tonight and the turbo in plane view is SUPER RUSTY. We knew the tip on the wastergate actuator was going to partially tear. It was so rusty and part of it came off.

We were still able to get a vacuum hose onto it the remaining part of the tip.

We pressurized the wastegate actuator as much as possible. We had to keep pumping the MityVac very fast in order to keep the pressure between 10 and 11psi. With 10-11psi on the wastegate actuator - the arm never moved. So two problems that I knew of at this point.

The blades on the turbo are chipped. It's hard to see it in the photo but they are.

Questions: Does ANYONE rebuild turbos? What about aftermarket parts for the turbo? I know Honda sells the turbo as one complete unit. If anyone has ideas where I can go from here without buying a brandnew turbo for 3K I'd greatly appreciate it! PM me pls.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
CelticCrew, I was reading this thread about the dreaded 27 MPH cap and I have the same issue. My turbo took in a bit of water. It didn't get to the intake however the turbo got a little salt build up and stuck. It wasn't too bad and I was able to get it cleaned up and spinning freely again. Boosted great for the first couple of pulls but then wouldn't boost anymore. The turbo is still spinning freely so I can't help but to think the vacuum line pulled some water in the waste gate and it's stuck open now and not sealing anymore. In any case it looks just like your video. Were you able to replace the waste gate? Did it fix the issue? Any help would be great - thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
12= #1 injector 15=#2 injector 42= TPC sensor (turbo charger pressure) 45= wastegate control solenoid
Hope these codes help you out. All can be cause of performance. Check Connections first and look for corrosion at connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts