Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2002 honda f 1200 non turbo and took it out and it topped out at 45mph and i ran it for about 15min wide open and then while idleing it started beeping and cutting out while flashing FI code. I was able to keep it at 6mph and drive home without it beeping. I am gonna try and get a manual monday but just looking for any advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few more details. The previous owner put a rebuilt motor in the ski almost a year ago. He said he put 5qts of oil in it but i thought it only took 4. I noticed oil under the engine and was thinking he overfilled it. The fourth spark plug looks like it had fungus growing on it. Engine now wont go over 3k rpms and then starts beeping. I tried to hold set and mode button for over 5 sec and it doesnt flash any codes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When it beeps, are any of the Icons on the Display flashing? There is a lot of information in the FAQs on PWCTODAY.COM in the Honda forums.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it flashes FI but when i go to pull codes there is none stored. I have read a lot but cant find any help because my ski is not storing any codes. I really think it had too much oil in it and that jacked things up. Its now at the right level but i need to know what to clean or check since it was overfilled. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Usually it will store codes unless the ECU is failed. Have you read the FAQs on PWCTODAY.COM on how to pull the codes correctly?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay i got it to read a code 25 [knock sensor]. When i pulled the air breather cover off there was oil inside. I am wondering if the knock sensor is giving me trouble because of the oil inside. I just wiped it off. I didnt do a reset yet. Should you do a reset before you find the problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that the oil sensor by the oil filter is dripping oil pretty bad. The o ring is shot. I hope this is the whole problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure to also check your air cleaner also, as this will fill up with oil from the breather tube that runs to the air cleaner. Its the beginning of a new season so everyone should be checking their air cleaners before getting out and ridding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I found that the oil pressure sensor is leaking and not the o ring. It was leaking real bad. Hope the new one is the fix but i got a gut feeling its not. The oil light never flashed and it was spitting out oil pretty bad. Glad i am gonna have the oil leak fixed but still got a long way to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found a loose connection from the relay to the fuse box. I sure hope this fixes the problem. Also pulled all the fuses and noticed the terminals were all green.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Usually that is an indication that the 'ski was launched with the drain plugs out and it filled up the rear with water. You can look at the battery terminals and see if the plating on them is gone to verify it since when the battery is submerged the current flows through the salt water and eats the plating off the terminals just like your relay connections. It would be worth good deep rinse with West Marine "Salt Remover" [not Salt Away].
Enjoy your toy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. It has a new battery so i cant tell from that. I washed it yesterday inside but need to do it with a good cleaner like the one you said.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay still fighting the fi code. Runs about 49mph (gps) at about 6800 or 7000 rpms for about 10 minutes and when i slow down for a no wake zone it starts to beep and flash fi. Checked code again and it showed knock sensor. I tried to check code again and it will only flash five blinks. I dont understand it. Why does the service manual not say anything about what could cause a knock sensor to set off? Only says loose connection or bad sensor. What about low octane gas? The ski was half full when i got it and i topped it off with premium but could something as simple as an octane booster be the fix. Could i unplug the sensor and run it to prove that it is bad?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Low octane can cause the knock sensor to pull back the timing but not throw a code. Usually a 25 code is a bad knock sensor or a bad ECU.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay well i guess i will start with a knock sensor. It just doesnt go into limp mode on the trailer and runs great for a long ways until i slow down. But since it is now throwing a battery signal when i have a charged battery makes me think i still have some poor connections or bad ecu. What kind of cleaner works good to clean the terminals and ecu?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts