Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Well this is the issue. I have two 2007 F12X Honda Jet ski's and both of them have the same issue. When the jet ski's are running and you put the reverse handle up, you can not put it down unless you turn off the jetski and then it goes down easy. You can put all your weight on it and it will not go down. When it is off it is easy to go up and down with it. It is so easy I can do it with one finger really. I tried greaseing it and it didn't do anything. Both units only have about 30hrs on it. Look forward to your replys!

Thanks in Advance
Wes

·
Registered
236 Posts
The bendix mechanism that flips over the reverse bucket has a stainless steel bushing that is inserted into a plastic bearing that the bendix arm pivots on. The plastic swells up pinching the bushing and the Bendix arm does not want to move. Most swell so tight that the bushing looks like it is part of the bendix arm instead of a rotating bearing.
The fix is to remove the bucket bolts and then the 12mm long bolt that the bendix arm pivots on. Remove the spring clip on the reverse cable end and pull the bendix arm out.
Put the bendix arm on top of a 3/4" deep well socket and use a 1/2 brass punch to drive the frozen bushing out of the plastic, down into the opening on the socket below that is supporting the arm. When the bushing is driven out completely into the socket below, Use a round rasp file to remove the swollen plastic until you can slide the bushing in easily with your fingers [looser is better]. There is also a groove in the center plastic bearing that needs to be cleaned and greased before you reassemble it.
It will only take about 45 minutes to do this.
This problem affects 100% of all Hondas.
If you don't fix it, you'll end up with a lot of hull damage from ramming things due to the reverse not working.....
JR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thanks for your reply.

However, this would be the case if the reverse would not work even if the engine is off or on correct. This only happens when the engine is on. When I turn it off it works very smoothly and doesn't have a problem. It will not go down when the engine is running. I turn it off and It will go down..

Your solution fixes this problem? Look forward to your reply!

Wes

·
Registered
236 Posts
Usually this is the fix for it since the swelled bushing adds to the force needed to move the bucket. Without the engine running there is less force needed. You can just release the spring clip on the reverse cable and see how easy the bendix lever moves by hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
stiff reverse bucket

Jr's tip usually does the trick, but you may also want to check your idle rpm level. If the idle is set kinda high, it will make it more difficult to move. Try setting the idle speed down a little lower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Larry - Use JRs fix listed above.

Wes - Is the bucket damaged or bent in any way? If yes then the thrust from the jet could be holding it in the reverse position. I have seen this issue after one of my kids backed into a floating dock and damaged the reverse bucket in a way that caused a side thrust which jammed the bucket in place.

Some duck tape and popsickle sticks fixed it temporarily and a new bucket fixed it permanently.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts