Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Anyone know what I use these for and how to use them..:confused:

Thanks guys
What you've got yourself there is a standard bulb type rivet. Depending on what type of ski you have you may or may not need them. I believe that some of the older skis had a rail that was riveted into place, and had to be removed to install the mat, then you would use the rivets to reinstall the rail. There may have even been a few skis that had the mat riveted in place??? You grind off the old rivets, install the mat and use a rivet tool (cheap $10-20, or you can borrow one from some of the auto parts stores) to pop the new rivets in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH, I see.. I checked out my ski, the back bumpers do have them.
How do I take the old ones out?
Is there a tool or trick to put the new ones in?

Appreciate the help

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
OH, I see.. I checked out my ski, the back bumpers do have them.
How do I take the old ones out?
Is there a tool or trick to put the new ones in?

Appreciate the help
Usually you just drill them out, but be careful not to enlarge the hole or the new rivets won't fit. Sometimes you have to grind the head with a dremel tool and then drill.

You will need a rivet tool/gun/puller (I'm not sure what the correct term is) that will fit your rivet. I have a local auto parts store that will let you buy a tool like that, use it, then bring it back for a full refund as long as you don't mess up the tool. I'd take the rivet to a local parts store or hardware, and they would be able to match it to the correct rivet tool to use.

The whole process sounds harder than it is. I've helped guys put in and pull out hundreds of rivets on an airplane, and it is not brain surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts