Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get my own jet ski this year, lucky me I have plenty of time to think about it since I don't have the money right now. College students don't really have much money during school time haha. I'm thinking that I want a late 90's jet ski and I do like arctic cat (Tigershark), ever since I got my sled. I'm thinking I could get one for $1500, because I most likely won't have much money to work with. Still pretty blury on what exact jet ski I want but I want one that can do about 55mph top speed without being too much of a gas hog, which im guessing if I don't get a 4-stroke it will be. The jet ski doesn't have to be a tigershark, just something with good speed and decent gas mileage. I was looking at the 1997 Tigershark Daytona 1000cc jet ski, I like it but im sure its a gas guzzler. Any suggestions on what I should get? I would appreciate some GPH figures if you can. -Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
First off congrats on wanting a pwc, it's a great hobby. You won't get into a 4 stroke for $1500. The 97 Daytona 1100 looks like a nice watercraft but I'd be scared to buy a Tigershark because parts are hard to find for them since they don't make them anymore. Plus it's a 3 cylinder so it will be thirsty.

My recommendation would be to go for a late 90's SeaDoo or Yamaha. If good fuel economy is your number 1 priority get a SeaDoo with the 587 engine or a 2 cylinder Yamaha. But you won't hit 55 mph. Here is a chart showing many SeaDoo models and how much gas they burn and top speed.

Sea Doo Fuel Economy / Range Chart

Do you want a 2 or 3 seater?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First off congrats on wanting a pwc, it's a great hobby. You won't get into a 4 stroke for $1500. The 97 Daytona 1100 looks like a nice watercraft but I'd be scared to buy a Tigershark because parts are hard to find for them since they don't make them anymore. Plus it's a 3 cylinder so it will be thirsty.

My recommendation would be to go for a late 90's SeaDoo or Yamaha. If good fuel economy is your number 1 priority get a SeaDoo with the 587 engine or a 2 cylinder Yamaha. But you won't hit 55 mph. Here is a chart showing many SeaDoo models and how much gas they burn and top speed.

Sea Doo Fuel Economy / Range Chart

Do you want a 2 or 3 seater?
Do you have an idea how fast those would go? I know mods would give me a few more mph. 2 or 3 seater doesn't matter to me whatever I can get at a better price. 1997 SP 717 looks good... Also if you could get me a fuel economy chart for a tigershark and yamaha that'd be awesome!!! Having trouble finding them.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I don't have fuel economy charts for Yamaha or Tigershark. Just keep in mind to look for a two cylinder Yamaha if you want better fuel economy. The 97-2000 GP760/GP800 is a great boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts