Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first jet ski...what to look for? model/year--late 90's early 00's modest budget
hey guys first post on here. looking to get into a ski (i've ridden some tigersharks when they first came out and have a jet boat with a 175hp merc in it) anyhow i'm looking for a couple of skis to ride mainly on a larger (600 or so acre) inland lake. what models should i be looking for? sporty single rider models (i have the boat if i want to take a few or pull a tube/skier) i'm partial to sea doos but for no reason. is there a year/engine that is better then another? i'm not looking for flat out speed (fast is always better :) ) but just something to have fun with, get me and my girl on a ski (looking to get a pair) and not break the bank (hence the late 90's early 00 time frame) what kind of $ should i be spending on a pair with a trailer? i'm fairly mechanically inclined and my uncle is a ski-doo mechanic so i have the resources to fix/maintain an older ski. open to suggestions other then sea doo.
i've done some searching but couldnt find answers to what i asked above, if i missed something sorry...be gentle! thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Don't know about SeaDoo models, but you might want to check out a couple of Yamaha GP800R skis. Pretty fast and fun, and I see some good prices on them. For any 10 year + 2 stroke, I'd look at converting them to premix if not already converted. I think some of the GP800s had powervalves, so I'd also check for that, to see if they had already been fixed. Otherwise, a very nice reliable ski.

·
Registered
16 Posts
id go with a kawasaki there reliable but would do a premix conversion oil pumps go out much like yamahas. seadoo has good oil pumps but not the best ski ive owned. kawasaki 750 is a good engine never had any probs with them other than trim malfuntions. i just installed new engine in my seadoo. i like the way my seadoo handles better than my kawasaki and with two passengers the seadoo rides smoother at wot than the kawasaki. the kawasaki more reliable in my opion

1 - 3 of 3 Posts