Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am currently living in south Florida. My family and I are looking into getting a used jet ski for <5k, we might put in the the extra 500 if we need to. Currently we are looking at Honda jet ski's, my dad wants to get a honda because there's a Honda store to if we need it to be repaired we can go down the street that we can take it to and my Uncle hears all about people having jet ski's and heard there are basically no problems with the Honda jet ski, were not exactly sure on what year and all that but we know we want a 3 seater, and a 4-stroke.So Basically we are looking for a good fuel efficient holds a good amount of gas, 15gallon should be good or around there and something to do, to use to pull tube's, wake boarding, go to the ocean with and lakes to ride around go off wave's have a good amount speed, 3 seats non turbo if there are eny good Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Seadoo's out there that especially run into no problems or anything like that can you give some suggestions and what do you prefer in a jet ski, like a Honda or Yamaha or whatever your favorite is, and it doesn't have to be a Honda.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is my 2 cents:

You are right about staying with a 4 stroke ski. 2 strokes are older technology. They smell, break, you have to worry about the oil system, and they require more maintanence and wear out faster than 4 strokes.

Be very careful of Honda Trubo models that have been run in salt water............they pretty much all fail eventually if not meticulousness maintained. Honda made a good ski, but have gotten out of the ski business for now (have not produced a ski since 2009). Many Honda PWC dealerships have gone out of business and their watercraft mechanics have moved on to other jobs. So, just because you have a Honda place close by does not mean that there will be a Honda certified PWC mechanic there..........they may not be able to work on skis at all, so I'd check first. The non-trubo models should be a pretty safe buy, but you may have to search to find a Honda mechanic. The Honda non-turbo ski has a sporty (= somewhat bouncy wet) ride with a top speed in the mid-50s. The ride of the Honda F-12(x) is very similar to a Yamaha VX.

Kawasaki makes a very nice riding ski, but their skis have historically always been the least reliable brand.

Best choices IMO are SeaDoo and Yamaha 4 stroke models. SeaDoo has closed loop cooling system, that may have some benefit for salt water, but are also have more complicated systems that are harder to maintain for the do-it-yourselfer.

Outlaw is on this forum someplace and can address the best SeaDoo choices in your price range.

As for Yamaha models to look at you really have 3 choices: VX, FX, or FX HO. You should be able to find a 2004-2006 model in your price range. All are normally aspirated, 3 person skis, and all run on regular (87 octane) fuel. The VX is the most reliable and fuel efficient ski on the market, and will give you a sporty (= somewhat bouncy and wet) ride with a top speed of around 54 mph. The FX is a larger and heavier model, and therefore more stable, and better for towing, riding multiple riders, and rough water handling. The FX has the same top speed as the VX, but is slightly less fuel efficient. The FX HO uses the same hull as the FX, so it is a very stable dry ride, but has more HP (will do around 60 mph). Yamaha makes some of the most reliable skis on the market (look at what skis the rental places use).

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts