Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first PWC yesterday, 88 WR 650(Yeah, I know it is old but I am a poor SOB LOL). What should I look for before I take it out for the first time? Everything looks good. No funky splices or jerry rigged parts. There is a bilge pump up beside the motor. It is disconnected, I dont see where the wires would go though. Is this factory or something someone put there?
Also where do I hook up the hose adaptor for flushing the cooling system?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The bilge pump is aftermarket. The flush hook up is either under the seat or in the engine bay at the back near the drive shaft. If i were you Id probably just take the carb off and give it a clean, check the comp and run a bit extra oil in the tank. And just check the hight tension leads arent brital.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found the water port. But now I have a new problem... It will start right up and run fine until I turn on the water. After it dies it wont start again. After I turn off the water and let it sit for a while it will start right up. Hook up the water and it runs for 20 seconds then dies... :)
Oh yeah, the hose adaptor is screwed in at the back of the motor where it says "wash".

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 1992 WR650, what is the water on off thing you are talking about? Does mine have this? What is the water port?

Mine was sitting in a buys back yard for 2 years before I took it in, cleaned the carb, replaced the starter and exhaust gasket, new battery and it starts up great, but I havent put it in the water yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There isn't a "switch" for the water. We were talking about the garden hose being turned on and off. You need a adaptor to hok a hose up to the ski so you can flush the cooling system and run it on the trailer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured out what was wrong. The gas was onb reserve and letting just enough gas to let it idle for a minute. The water thing was just co-incendental...
BTW the compression was 180psi on 1 and 188psi on 2. Now to cut the end off the res. pickup and I should be good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.