Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first PWC yesterday, 88 WR 650(Yeah, I know it is old but I am a poor SOB LOL). What should I look for before I take it out for the first time? Everything looks good. No funky splices or jerry rigged parts. There is a bilge pump up beside the motor. It is disconnected, I dont see where the wires would go though. Is this factory or something someone put there?
Also where do I hook up the hose adaptor for flushing the cooling system?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The bilge pump is aftermarket. The flush hook up is either under the seat or in the engine bay at the back near the drive shaft. If i were you Id probably just take the carb off and give it a clean, check the comp and run a bit extra oil in the tank. And just check the hight tension leads arent brital.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I found the water port. But now I have a new problem... It will start right up and run fine until I turn on the water. After it dies it wont start again. After I turn off the water and let it sit for a while it will start right up. Hook up the water and it runs for 20 seconds then dies... :)
Oh yeah, the hose adaptor is screwed in at the back of the motor where it says "wash".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Its getting water into the combustion chamber. Blown head gasket?? Exhaust manifold??
Thats why its shutting down when you turn the water on. has it been used in salt water all its life??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I am not real happy with the guy that sold it right now, he said it ran fine and was ready to ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 1992 WR650, what is the water on off thing you are talking about? Does mine have this? What is the water port?

Mine was sitting in a buys back yard for 2 years before I took it in, cleaned the carb, replaced the starter and exhaust gasket, new battery and it starts up great, but I havent put it in the water yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn't a "switch" for the water. We were talking about the garden hose being turned on and off. You need a adaptor to hok a hose up to the ski so you can flush the cooling system and run it on the trailer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out what was wrong. The gas was onb reserve and letting just enough gas to let it idle for a minute. The water thing was just co-incendental...
BTW the compression was 180psi on 1 and 188psi on 2. Now to cut the end off the res. pickup and I should be good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts