Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just started talking about getting a PWC this past week. I want to buy a used ski. Probably get a pair of them if I can get a good deal. I have a few questions.

1. What is a good stable ski for a beginner. My 14 year old son will be riding and has never ridden one. I rode a friends Kawasaki about 20 years ago right after they came out with sit down models. I remember at that time they said that the Jet Ski was more stable than the Waverunner. Of course there are new mfr's now.

2. We will only use this a few times a year so I need reliable and easy to maintain. Do I want a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?

3. We would most likely pull a tube with it and I would like to be able to slalom ski behind it once in awhile.

4. Besides the obvious checks for oil leaks and corrosion. What other things do I need to check out with the mechanical system. Impeller (just look into water outlet?), etc.

5. How many hours would be considered high and would be getting close to needing a lot of work?

Thanks and if you have any other things I should know about or check on I would appreciate any advice you can give to this newbie.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. Yamaha VX, FX or FX HO
2. Definitely 4 stroke
3. FX or FX HO
4. Take a test ride. If it performs well in the water your 95% sure you have a good ski. You can't tell anything about the pump system running it on a hose, and only a rough estimate of how the engine will perform in the water.
5. Best are skis with less than 100 hours. 500 hours and you are getting to the breaking point on Yamahas...........most other skis will already be broken at this point. :cheeky4:

I have a Yamaha bias, so keep this in mind.............where is that Outlaw?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Seadoo is the logical choice

Ok. so you are gettin ready to pull the trigger on some skis. That is cool, but your needs contradict your Jet Ski choices. Meaning you want low powered skis but still want to slalom ski behind it ????. I used to slalom ski in tournaments and believe me if you ski like that then you will most assurredly drag down and pull a Jet ski sideways. I used to be able to pull a 16 ' Whaler with a V-6 150 Merc on it. The tubes will be alright and most two skiers.

I have to agree with Ernest the a 4-stroke is the only choice. ans Seadoo is the only choice in saltwater because of their closed loop cooling.

Let me know the years your looking at and your budget and I will fix right with some great Seadoos, I am not a real expert on high hours all my stuff is pretty new.

Whatever you do buy Seadoo or Yamaha because I want you to like this sport:lol2:

Alright Catchya on the Flipside:00000048:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
hi is 4 stroke is easier to maintain than 2 stroke?

any reason?
I would say yes. You have to change the oil on a 4 stroke, but that is easy, and you don't have to worry about mixing oil and gas every time you fill up, or worry about your 2 stroke oil pump system failing. You also don't have to clean and rebuild carbs, like you do on the 2 strokes. Other maintenance steps are the same. The 4 strokes also sound better in the water (quieter IMO), and don't stink.

Also, Outlaw is correct about not being able to slalom behind a ski. Wake boarding, and non-slalom skiing can be done, but the force associated with slalom skiing would likely wreck a jet ski. I should have read you post more thoroughly the first time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
hi is 4 stroke is easier to maintain than 2 stroke?

any reason?
If you mean maintain from a replace and repair point of view. First of all you do is a start up oil change and your good for at least 50 hrs of use, not buying expensive two - stroke oil and blowing stinky smoke. I know all about two strokes. I grew up with outboard motors that were two stroke. I have owned about 20 two stroke snowmobiles made by Skidoo. Two stroke motors have a real high power band and as a result run very high rpms and wear themselves out due to their radical design. There are no reeds or reed cages in four strokes to break. BTY four strokes are more efficient and don't pollute the water as much. What is ratio? For every two stroke you could run 8 four strokes with less pollution.:ashamed:

Catch Ya on the flipside :00000048:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whatever you do buy Seadoo or Yamaha because I want you to like this sport:lol2:

Alright Catchya on the Flipside:00000048:
Ill bet you lunch my 2007 Honda outlives your Seadont's.......:laugh:

I should take a picture of the service yard at Berts Mega Mall and I think you'll want to sell your skis. There are at least 30 doos for every 1 of anything else and not 1 Honda. That closed loop system is for people who are too lazy to really keep their ski maintained...and still has problems with it too.

:cheeky4:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Rofl

I can understand why your feelings are hurt turbnofreak, here ya are stuck with a ski they don't make any more, as resale can't give away seeing a Honda on the water is like seeing an owl in the day time:laugh: Just few and very far between. The reason they aren't all stacked up some where used is no one was stupid enough to buy it in the first place no sales = no skis:ashamed:. They certainly aren't fast, my slowest ski walks them a GTX 215, don't even think about the 2006 RXT with the RIVA Stage Three kit.

I will leave this last FACT, Honda didn't stop making Jet Skis because they sold to many:lol2: But they make a heck of a snowblower

I don't think your Honda will ever outlast my skis and the way I take of them. It takes more than a newb moron to run and tune a stage three kit with a blowoff valve ya think:confused:

Oh well enough fun and games:cheeky4:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get a yamaha 3 seater, 4 stroke, less than 100 hours. Jest make sure you keep oil and gas in the unit.

Also never run over the rope when pulling tubers or skiers.

·
Registered
811 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention is the legal driver's age to operate a PWC. In Maryland and Delaware you must be at least 16 years old to operate a PWC. That's with a permit you recieve after completing an online safety course. You may want to check with you local laws before sending your 14 year old out on his own.

Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are in Ks. Here you have to be 12 or older and take a boating safety class to ride a PWC by yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can understand why your feelings are hurt turbnofreak, here ya are stuck with a ski they don't make any more, as resale can't give away seeing a Honda on the water is like seeing an owl in the day time:laugh: Just few and very far between. The reason they aren't all stacked up some where used is no one was stupid enough to buy it in the first place no sales = no skis:ashamed:. They certainly aren't fast, my slowest ski walks them a GTX 215, don't even think about the 2006 RXT with the RIVA Stage Three kit.

I will leave this last FACT, Honda didn't stop making Jet Skis because they sold to many:lol2: But they make a heck of a snowblower

I don't think your Honda will ever outlast my skis and the way I take of them. It takes more than a newb moron to run and tune a stage three kit with a blowoff valve ya think:confused:

Oh well enough fun and games:cheeky4:
I'm hurt???? Ahhhhhhhhhhhaahahahahaa What are you....3 - 4??? Does that make you the guy who wants the fastest ski in the no wake zone???? I have seen you before I think. :laugh:

:appl: No sales = no skis.... good comeback. Looks to me like they sold pretty much all the skis they had made...and ignorance on your part makes you the king. Maybe you should educate yourself on why they have halted, NOT stopped, production for now. It wasn't due to lack of sales apparently, cuz they are all gone. It is a temporary business decision based on changes and a better business vision.

Does the fact that there are no Hondas stacked because "no one was stupid enough to buy one" in relation to all the stacked ones are seadawgs because someone WAS stupid enough to buy them? Don't answer that, I can see you getting back door bent.

THANK YOU for posting your resume and reiterating the need for your ski to be cool and fast by adding a stage 3 kit. = FAIL You definitely don't impress me or my "Noob" ness with your latent talent to work on one simple stage 3 kit. Since we are stick measuring, let me know when you want to see the trophy rack of the turbos I have worked on. Your little seadonuts will run and hide. :cheeky4: Tag, you are it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm hurt???? Ahhhhhhhhhhhaahahahahaa What are you....3 - 4??? Does that make you the guy who wants the fastest ski in the no wake zone???? I have seen you before I think. :laugh:

:appl: No sales = no skis.... good comeback. Looks to me like they sold pretty much all the skis they had made...and ignorance on your part makes you the king. Maybe you should educate yourself on why they have halted, NOT stopped, production for now. It wasn't due to lack of sales apparently, cuz they are all gone. It is a temporary business decision based on changes and a better business vision.

Does the fact that there are no Hondas stacked because "no one was stupid enough to buy one" in relation to all the stacked ones are seadawgs because someone WAS stupid enough to buy them? Don't answer that, I can see you getting back door bent.

THANK YOU for posting your resume and reiterating the need for your ski to be cool and fast by adding a stage 3 kit. = FAIL You definitely don't impress me or my "Noob" ness with your latent talent to work on one simple stage 3 kit. Since we are stick measuring, let me know when you want to see the trophy rack of the turbos I have worked on. Your little seadonuts will run and hide. :cheeky4: Tag, you are it.
What meds are you takin? Have your nuts dropped yet?

Your undying loyality to Honda is impressive, too bad it dosen't change anything. Instead of trying to prove Honda is a better ski than Seadoo (RIGHT). Why don't you help all your bretherin Honda owners with all their turbo problems and prove they aren't junk. Ya know the proper maintenance fiasco nightmare. Every Honda owner I see has had problems but I don't see many cause they just are very rare. BTY if Honda sold all their stock why is it still plentiful on line with old models??????????????????? Lets see does a Honda have IS suspension, 24 degree deadrise stepped hull, closed loop cooling and IBR controls? Nope, Seadoo does.

Thats pretty funny, they gave you trophies for buildin turbos:appl: must be hard to do to earn a trophy for doin it LOL. Trophies to me are like collecting memories and I have plenty as well but I don't need to go there. Those who know me know my skis, boat and Z06 speaks for them self. I doubt you ever have seen me being I live on the Chesapeake Bay on the east coast. BTY I don't hide from anything. If you get beat you get beat.

What, do you hang out in no wake zones and look for fast skis? Sorry don't spend to much time in them.

If the truth be told I would guess that Honda has the lowest Market Share of PWC's sold in 2009 when they were still gettin rid of them.

Dude I could buy any ski I wanted but there is nothin better for me anyway on the market.

And as far as my RIVA Stage III is concerned I got the need for speed and like sleepers.

Ok now you have all week to think about what you want to say about me next. I will be in OC MD for seven days whipping up on poor little HONDAWGS.

To the rest of guys with Hondas good luck and nothing personal. One knucklehead can make things abnormal.

Catch Ya on the Flipside:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What meds are you takin? Have your nuts dropped yet?

Your undying loyality to Honda is impressive, too bad it dosen't change anything. Instead of trying to prove Honda is a better ski than Seadoo (RIGHT). Why don't you help all your bretherin Honda owners with all their turbo problems and prove they aren't junk. Ya know the proper maintenance fiasco nightmare. Every Honda owner I see has had problems but I don't see many cause they just are very rare. BTY if Honda sold all their stock why is it still plentiful on line with old models??????????????????? Lets see does a Honda have IS suspension, 24 degree deadrise stepped hull, closed loop cooling and IBR controls? Nope, Seadoo does.

Thats pretty funny, they gave you trophies for buildin turbos:appl: must be hard to do to earn a trophy for doin it LOL. Trophies to me are like collecting memories and I have plenty as well but I don't need to go there. Those who know me know my skis, boat and Z06 speaks for them self. I doubt you ever have seen me being I live on the Chesapeake Bay on the east coast. BTY I don't hide from anything. If you get beat you get beat.

What, do you hang out in no wake zones and look for fast skis? Sorry don't spend to much time in them.

If the truth be told I would guess that Honda has the lowest Market Share of PWC's sold in 2009 when they were still gettin rid of them.

Dude I could buy any ski I wanted but there is nothin better for me anyway on the market.

And as far as my RIVA Stage III is concerned I got the need for speed and like sleepers.

Ok now you have all week to think about what you want to say about me next. I will be in OC MD for seven days whipping up on poor little HONDAWGS.

To the rest of guys with Hondas good luck and nothing personal. One knucklehead can make things abnormal.

Catch Ya on the Flipside:thumbsup:
Please stop talking about my nuts...since you can't think of anything really clever...or less gay. All you did was repeat what you said the first time, just in a different way. If you really need to brag about your toys then so be it....sleep well doing it too. IBR, Deadrise, Closed Loop....ahhh...Clue ----NOBODY CARES what you have. You brag about the things that mean NOTHING. If those things are so great do you not think everyone else would be doing it too? I about fell outta my chair when you threw in the ZO6. What are you comparing it to cuz the ZO6 isn't really all that. You can't make that faster either??? You wanted fast and the "best" but you only had a buck in your pocket and still dont have the fastest or the best, not even the Z carbon. Yeah, Mad skills on your end. As far as waiting a week to respond, I don't troll around on here like you clearly do. I see you in the Honda section cause you hate them so much huh.

BTW...your term "everyone" infers that ALL owners are having problems....better start taking note of those that responded that they are having no issues on theirs. My 07 is mint and I would recommend you contact sales and service at Berts Mega Mall to get set straight on reliability, if you knew what it was of course, before you continue vomiting at the mouth. (Now if you really want to talk crap and avoid calling the WORLDS largest toy store for the truth...then thats on you) Have fun at your water races "drift wood". If you like the speed so much, try actually going faster...what are we talking, still speeds less than 100...woohoo....HUGEEEEEEEEE

Peace...and don't bother responding, you have bored me enough and there is no need to crap in this thread.(seriously)

·
Registered
37 Posts
noodle

Also never run over the rope when pulling tubers or skiers.
I'm a newbie but can toss in my two cents. Overton's makes a special foam wrapper that goes over your tow line to help avoid running over a ski line. Does not absolutely prevent it but might be a nice cheap bit of insurance. And for even cheaper you can probably make the same think by cutting a pool noodle in half and slitting it up the middle. Would not look as spiffy but would still function.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts