Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's (and ladies) Ive been browsing the fourm and decided to sign up to get some help. I purchased 2 stand ups off of craigslist about 2 weeks ago, I paid 800 for both and and trailer so I figured they were a good buy, The first ski started right up and seemed to run fine, when we went to start the second one bc of the battery it wouldnt turn over. So I paid the guy, took them home and charged the batteries, Now the one that started i took to the river, put it in, started it up and off I went. I rode about 300 yards up river, turned around then came back (water was cold) when i put it back on the trailer I noticed it was smoking under the hood. Got it home and could smell burnt fiberglass. So i hooked the hose up to flush it and it was clogged with sand. How do I get the sand out? Is it just from the guy not flushing it or is there something that is broken that I need to replace?

The second ski, turns over, and has spark. But it wont draw fuel, the guy told me that he just replaced the fuel lines, so do i need to force the air out? I put a little bit of fuel in the carb and it started right up not sure where to go with that one.

So any advice on the ski's would help, to be honest with you I just dont know where to start, I dont want to take things apart that I dont need to or jack around with things that I dont need too.

Thanks in advance guys!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well not sure about the sand issue, but on the other one the first thing to do would be to fill the gas tank to assure the tank isnt super low or empty, second thing i would do would be to either unbolt the top of the airbox and/or try spraying gas directly into the carb. next get the ski to fire up and choke it as soon as it fires, this will make it run a little longer off of the gas you put in the carb. if the fuel lines are clear watch for the gas to start coming up towards the fuel pump and carb. if they are the black lines try the first few steps 4-5 times and by then if the fuel pump is working it should be pumping gas into the carb and possibly running depending on if your carb is in clean working condion

·
Registered
11 Posts
if your still having trouble with it, check over all of the fuel and vaccume lines and assure there are no kinks or loose lines. you could try taking the fuel line off of the fuel pump and blowing into it then (using a siphon pump or being very carefull lol) sucking into the line to draw fuel into the line and assuring that fuel can get into the line. if nothing happens take the cap off where the fuel lines run into the tank and look to see if there is the line that runs into the bottom of the tank. after years of sitting in fuel and bouncing around those lines soften up and can break off or rot away. also make sure that the line that is in the tank is the one that is running to the fuel pump. there should be 2 lines that run into the top of the tank, one is the fuel line that runs to the fuel pump and then to the carb, and the other is the fuel return line that takes the excess fuel from the carb and puts it back into the tank. already seen those 2 lines get switched up before lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are no kinks or anything like that. in fact the one that wont run has brand new lines on it, there is a silver thing that has what looks like a stone cup inside of it, im not sure if thats the fuel pump or not but it wont pull fuel AT ALL, its starting to annoy me. ill try and snap some pictures and upload them later today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts